Re: HP Mini Battery buldging (550 Views)
Student
slottino
Message 1 of 3 (892 Views)

HP Mini Battery buldging

The battery to my computer stopped working suddenly a couple months ago without warning.  Even though I had received no warnings that my battery was losing its power, I assumed that's what happened.  Well, I recently discovered that the battery pack is now buldging to the point where it has cracked its own case.  My computer is no longer under warrenty, but this doesn't seem like something I should have to pay to replace either.  I searched for recall information for this model and didnt see anything.

Does anyone know what I can do?  Is it possible that the battery pack will continue to buldge to the point of it being dangerous?

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 3 (863 Views)

Re: HP Mini Battery buldging

[ Edited ]

Yes. It is incredibly rare but lithium ion batteries can catch fire. If it is bulging it means the cells inside are bulging. They look like AA batteries. Bulging is not good. The stuff inside the cells is not poisonous like ni-cad and ni-mh but it is not something you want to get on you. PLEASE remove the battery from the laptop and stop putting electricity to it. Don't throw it in the regular trash, although as stated it is not considered hazardous waste per se, just better off not in the landfill.

Student
somereeds
Message 3 of 3 (550 Views)

Re: HP Mini Battery buldging

I had the same issue.  I have purchased a new battery but it isn't charging!  ugh!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation