HP Pavilion-DV9000 USB ports (15224 Views)
Student
Sammy
Message 1 of 28 (15,224 Views)

HP Pavilion-DV9000 USB ports

All USB ports stopped recognizing external devices such as a mouse, usb modem, even memory sticks.  It started with one USB port (next to the power plug) and few days after that all USB ports became useless.  No error message was displayed.  The remaining functions of the laptop work fine. Please help.
Master's Graduate
CorMit
Message 2 of 28 (15,244 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion-DV9000 USB ports

Hello Sammy,

Try uninstalling all USB Drivers from the Device Manager (Right Click on " Computer " select " Manage " then click " Device Manager ")

Put a check in the box (if you get it) Remove driver/software for this device Then Restart the computer

Try you Devices again and see if it works ... if not may be motherboard issue since all USB ports not working .. if under warranty, then HP could service the notebook for you

--------------------------------
Pavilion DV2714CA, Vista Home Premium 32bit(Successfully running Windows XP Pro SP2), Intel T2330 1.60 GHz, Intel Graphics Accelerator X3100, 4GB RAM, 160 GB HDD --Do everyone a favor Post back your results, Resolved or Not - LEAVE KUDOS !
Student
creamsodax22
Message 3 of 28 (15,169 Views)

Hi, i am experiencing the same problem with the same laptop and everything.  I was wondering what you did to resolve the issue because when i go to device manager i could not find  Remove driver/software for this device. So if you figured out what to do or if someone else could help that would be of great assitance.  Thank you to anyone who helps!  Also i am not under warrenty anymore.
Teacher
JAZZER
Message 4 of 28 (15,154 Views)

can u give me the error message what it says when u plug in the usb device and does it get recognised under device manager...????
Honor Student
redbaybound
Message 5 of 28 (14,995 Views)

I am having a similar issue.  I noticed that the USB ports were not working yesterday.  I have been away for the holidays and haven't used the computer since mid December.  I have followed the advice to reinstall the drivers but this hasn't helped.  Is this an update problem?  I noticed that I did updates on Dec 12 right before I left on vacation.  Anyone else do updates and then notice problems?
Honor Student
alffy46
Message 6 of 28 (14,983 Views)

yes Mine quit working as well around this timeframe. I think its either a Vista issue or a BIOS issue. I tried all the other steps by removing from device manager, etc doesnt work! HP and Microsoft have issues on this one for sure. Maybe Vista still isnt ready!

Cheers

Honor Student
Dagda
Message 7 of 28 (14,979 Views)

I recently had USB controller problems (Code 39 error) on Acer C200 tablet PC (XP SP3) as a result of downloading Intel TMC200_chipset.zip file. Could not achieve Last Known Configuration due to no response at boot-up. Re-installing Windows XP from recovery disks resolved the problem. Make sure you baxk-up all your data files before re-installation. Good luck.
Honor Student
redbaybound
Message 8 of 28 (14,968 Views)

There is no error message.  Device manager says that all USB ports are working.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and checked for updates.  Is there a way to check the chipset?
Student
marshwib
Message 9 of 28 (14,830 Views)

I too had my HP Pavilion dv9000's USB stop working two days ago.  I have checked the device settings, the USB's state they are working properly but nothing works when its plugged in.  The only thing that occurred out of the normal is i tried to resync an old VX6700 PDA phone.  I have rebooted, taken the battery out, unplugged... i have tried everything.  This is agrivating!!!!  Anyone with an idea of what to do i am willing to try.  Oh by the way, i have tried going through the BIOS but there is no place to activate/deactivate the USBs.  Anyone????
Honor Student
RichGordon69
Message 10 of 28 (14,685 Views)

I too had the same issue.  I used My Laptop (DV9000) last week and then when I used it this week, all of the USB ports no longer work.

When I insert a device, I get a Tasktray Message "USB Device not recognized" and the Device Manager shows the device as "Unknown Device"

I contected HP support and after paying $49.99 for support, they want me to send in my Laptop for repair @ $400.00

This happened to all of us at about the same time, this has to be a Software problem with HP and/or Vista.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation