Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My hard drive crashed and I am trying to replace it with a Kingston 30GB SSD. Aftern installation, the computer does not recognize the harddrive. Kingston suggests that I should enter the set up mode (which I did) and "instruct the system to autodetect the new drive". How do I do this - there was no such option in System Configuration screen. Appreciate any help.

-Kasturi

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

@kasturi wrote:

My hard drive crashed and I am trying to replace it with a Kingston 30GB SSD. Aftern installation, the computer does not recognize the harddrive. Kingston suggests that I should enter the set up mode (which I did) and "instruct the system to autodetect the new drive". How do I do this - there was no such option in System Configuration screen. Appreciate any help.

-Kasturi

In the system configuration menu of the BIOS try changing the enable enhanced SATA mode to disable or vice versa.  If that does not work you will probably need to update the BIOS to the latest version available. Your case is a bit difficult since you don't have the original hard drive available with an installed OS.

What happens when you boot up without a harddisk installed?

I have upgraded laptops with OCZ and Intel SSD's, but I have not upgraded with a KIngston before. You might end up having to replace the drive with an OCZ or Intel unit for this to work.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. The PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility System Configuration tab only has the following items:

Language

Button Sound

VRAM size

Boot Options

When I click on Boot Options I get the following

F10 and F12 Delay

CD-Rom Boot [Enabled]

Floppy Boot [Enabled]

Internal Network Adapter Boot [Disabled]

Boot Order

By going to the Boot Order I can only change the order of boot but not any other property.

I do not see any option to enable/disable.

I have a new Vista Business CD. I can boot from that and when it is ready to create the OS on the hard drive it finds none and that is where I am stuck.

Appreciate your help.

-Kasturi

HP Recommended

Hi,

@kasturi wrote:

Thank you for your reply. The PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility System Configuration tab only has the following items:

Language

Button Sound

VRAM size

Boot Options

When I click on Boot Options I get the following

F10 and F12 Delay

CD-Rom Boot [Enabled]

Floppy Boot [Enabled]

Internal Network Adapter Boot [Disabled]

Boot Order

By going to the Boot Order I can only change the order of boot but not any other property.

I do not see any option to enable/disable.

I have a new Vista Business CD. I can boot from that and when it is ready to create the OS on the hard drive it finds none and that is where I am stuck.

Appreciate your help.

-Kasturi

here is a link to the manual. The manual shows the option I described. Enter the BIOS with an F10 keystroke when you see the HP logo.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

If you are getting a black screen and two short beeps on bootup, you should try new memory. However, it is likely a bad video card.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the link to the manual.  I see from Table 2.3 (Page 2-6) the option:

Enhanced SATA support

(select models only)

but I do not see that when I enter this mode. It is a 2006 laptop and perhaps it is too old for this option.

-Kasturi

HP Recommended

@kasturi wrote:

Thank you for the link to the manual.  I see from Table 2.3 (Page 2-6) the option:

Enhanced SATA support

(select models only)

but I do not see that when I enter this mode. It is a 2006 laptop and perhaps it is too old for this option.

-Kasturi

@kasturi wrote:

Enhanced SATA support

(select models only)

-Kasturi

That could be or perhaps it is part of an enhancement in the latest BIOS.

Best regards,
erico

HP Recommended

HI,

Have you read the SSDNow installation instructions (in pdf format) available from Kingston?

Consider purchasing a small 2.5" SATA hard drive and install the Vista Business OS. Afterwards follow the instructions in the installation instructions. 

There is, of course, the possibility that the Kingston hard disk that you have has faulty firmware. I would contact Kingston about an RMA to get a replacement or the store where you purchased it for the same service. Don't wait too long as most stores only honor the warranty for thirty days and afterwards put the warranty burden on the manufacturer.

Best regards,
erico

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.