Question

Top Student
TomKTW
Message 1 of 12 (17,991 Views)

HP Probook 4540s: Fingerprint Sensor not detected, useless drivers and ordering installing drivers.

I have installed Windows 7 64-bit on HP Probook 4540s B6N39EA, and I've experienced issues with some drivers. I've managed to install almost all of them successfully, but only fingerprint sensor driver is not shown at all. There is no "Biometric Devices" in Device Manager, nor an option in Control Panel.

Another issue is that I can't find out which drivers I have to actually install, as there are way too many available downloads and I can't find proper way to install them and which way. I've installed some drivers, and it ended up that most of them are not for my laptop, even if they are on that list of drivers. There are 2 HP camera drivers, and I don't know which one is it for me, there's "wireless mouse" driver and big amount of various network drivers. Yet, all of sudden I notice a new sensor "HP Mobile Data Protection Sensor" and I don't even know is it working and even useful for me. Almost same thing for software, I don't know which software should be installed in case for hardware-related stuff or to improve software performance as I don't want to install all at once and immediately get bloated.

Can anyone show me which way to arrange/order installing drivers and what all drivers are available to make this laptop fully functional? Yet, which software should be installed just for functionality?

Note that Windows Update managed to offer me updates for Qualcomm Atheros WiFi driver to install, as there were too many drivers in network list.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 12 (17,973 Views)

Re: HP Probook 4540s: Fingerprint Sensor not detected, useless drivers and ordering installing drive

[ Edited ]

Hi:

Installing drivers should not require any guesswork if you know a simple trick.

1. Go to your device manager and find any device showing up there with a little yellow ! mark.

Those are the devices that need drivers.

2. Click on each device and find the hardware ID for them.

If you don't know how to find a hardware ID, please see the info at the link below.

http://www.devicedriverfinder.com/blog/device-drivers/how-to-check-the-hardware-id-for-a-windows-dev...

3. Then enter the ven code and the dev code in the boxes at the link below and you will get the model of the device you need.

http://www.pcidatabase.com/

For the USB/VID devices, just google the entire top line.

You need to have the validity fingerprint sensor installed in order for the fingerprint sensor to show up in the control panel.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

In order for the fingerprint sensor to work you need to install the Protect Tools Security Manager software.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

The mobile data protection sensor requires this driver. What it does is to protect the hard drive from damage in the event the notebook is bumped hard or dropped from a low height, by parking the heads.

As far as what other software you need, that is a matter of reading the packages and deciding for yourself what you want to have, and what you don't.

I have already provided you with what you need in order to register a fingerprint.

Paul

Top Student
TomKTW
Message 3 of 12 (17,957 Views)

Re: HP Probook 4540s: Fingerprint Sensor not detected, useless drivers and ordering installing drive

Okay, understood about driver installing and software, but I still have a problem with fingerprint sensor even after installing "Validity Fingerprint Sensor Driver" and HP Protect Tools, there is still no Biometric Devices option available at all.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 12 (17,954 Views)

Did you install the chipset driver?

Something isn't right.

That device should have shown up in the device manager as a USB/VID something or other, for which the validity fingerprint sensor should have resolved.

Did you install the major drivers in the recommended order?

Chipset, install and reboot.

Graphics, install and reboot

Audio, install and reboot.

Failure to install the chipset driver first can cause some strange things to happen.

Top Student
TomKTW
Message 5 of 12 (17,952 Views)

"

Did you install the major drivers in the recommended order?

Chipset, install and reboot.

Graphics, install and reboot

Audio, install and reboot.

"

This is actually what I have needed. Though, I didn't go with this order as I was not able to download drivers at such moment (internet connection is way too slow) and went totally different order, but I'll try to re-install and try it again.

I'll let you know if issue is solved as it may take some time.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 12 (17,950 Views)

OK.

By trial and error you know what drivers to install now, but if you run into any difficulty , now you know how to find the hardware ID, use the database to ID the driver and install the applicable driver.

This is the chipset driver you should install first as there are several listed under Chipset.

Top Student
TomKTW
Message 7 of 12 (17,945 Views)

Bad news, still no fingerprint sensor even after installing chipset first and following order.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 12 (17,938 Views)

Sorry that didn't work.

I won't be able to help you any further with this.

There may be a hardware issue.

Your notebook should still be under warranty and you should contact HP technical support.

Top Student
TomKTW
Message 9 of 12 (17,890 Views)

Is it possible that my laptop doesn't have actual fingerprint sensor installed? Problem is that I can't find any picture of laptop which shows detailed look of laptop, and checking does it has one or not, yet I can't find details of my model type of 4540s, as there are various builds of it.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 10 of 12 (17,888 Views)

Querying the specific product number of your notebook (B6N39EA) indicates it comes with a fingerprint reader.

Look under the security management section.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/aa/en/sm/WF06b/321957-321957-64295-3955552-3955552-5229455-5270187.ht...

The service manual shows the fingerprint reader location, and indicates "selected models," of which yours should be one.

I would imagine that if the notebook did not have the fingerprint reader, the palmrest would be plain all across there like the rest of the illustration in chapter 2, on page 11.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03332165/c03332165.pdf

There is a fingerprint reader board and cable assy that you can refer to in chapter 4 on pages 75 and 76.

Since your notebook is under warranty, you will void it if you go that far into the workings of your notebook to see if there are any problems there.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation