Question

Tutor
WizardKnight
Message 1 of 25 (11,794 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP continues to ship defective Intel 6 series chipset to customers after recall.

Something folks should be aware of is that HP has instituted a "fix" that isn't really a fix.  I had a DV7T QE (product number XN093AV) that was ordered in January.  The laptop was affected by the chipset issue and after about a month of checking back with HP customer service I was finally told that they had a resolution and that I could exchange my machine for one with the newly revised chipset.  The replacement machine was delivered to me in mid March, it was the identical product number (XN093AV) and contained the identical faulty chipset.

Some background for those not familiar with the chipset issue.  Intel initiated a recall of their 6 series (cougar point) southbridge chipset designed for use with the second generation core i-series "sandybridge" CPU's.  Among the chipset's functions is the SATA controller interface for storage devices.  The chipset manages 6 SATA ports, 2 at 6 Gb/s and 4 at 3 Gb/s.  It is the 3 Gb/s ports that are affected by the design flaw which can lead to data errors for an attached storage device.  Intel's mobile version of this chipset is called HM65 and the stepping (version) of the chipset with the problem is "B2".  Intel has implemented a silicon fix and released a new stepping "B3" which does not have the problem.  However, Intel has continued to ship the affected "B2" stepping to manufacturers for applications where only the 6 Gb/s ports would be used as they are unaffected by the design flaw.

Back to HP's "fix" - my original machine had the faulty "B2" stepping HM65 chipset with a hard drive connected to a 6 Gb/s port and an optical drive connected to one of the faulty 3 Gb/s ports.  The replacement machine I received also had the same "B2" stepping HM65 chipset with both drives now connected to the 6 Gb/s ports.  Unfortunately this isn't an acceptable solution on at least two fronts.  First, in addition to the primary hard drive bay and the optical drive bay this particular 17.3 inch laptop has a secondary hard drive bay.  I have independently purchased an SSD drive that I intend to install in addition to the factory installed drives.  This requires the use of a third port which would have to be one of the faulty 3 Gb/s ports.  Moreover the laptop also has an e-SATA connector for connecting to external drives which I intend to use for backups.  I didn't verify this but considering that the primary hard drive and the optical drive are consuming the only two working ports it stands to reason that the e-SATA connector is connected to one of the faulty ports.

After about 5 hours of being bounced around in the HP customer service void and being told that there was nothing wrong with my machine they agreed to exchange it yet again for one of the newly released DV7T QE models (product number XW899AV) which I am hoping will have the HM65 "B3" stepping chipset.  I haven't received it yet so I can't verify whether or not the new product has the same issue.  I will post when I do get it.

Does this impact you?  You can determine which stepping of the chipset you have by running CPU-Z, a free and widely trusted system utility, available at www.cpuid.com.  Select the mainboard tab and look at your chipset revision.  If you have the "B2" stepping and you intend to use more than two SATA devices at the same time you may have an issue.  The following link outlines your options from hp.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02712015&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=505...

I will point out that the answer to FAQ # 2 is definitively untrue.

Is HP still making products with the affected Intel chipset?

No. HP has stopped manufacturing products with the Intel technology at issue and has placed a shipment hold on products in HP and channel inventory.

Good luck.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 25 (11,559 Views)

Re: HP continues to ship defective Intel 6 series chipset to customers after recall.

Can you post a screenshot of the B2 stepping code using cpu-z, thanks.

Tutor
WizardKnight
Message 3 of 25 (11,516 Views)

Re: HP continues to ship defective Intel 6 series chipset to customers after recall.

CPUZ.png

Honor Student
MrBooBash
Message 4 of 25 (11,334 Views)

I'm reading reports on forum.notebookreview.com from people who have received the new model DV today, and CPU-Z is showing B2. I have a new DV7tqe 6xxx model on the way, so I would like to know what the deal is with this. Is CPU-Z reporting incorrectly? HP needs to clear up the confusion on what's going on here. If people perceive, either correctly or incorrectly, that HP is using the flawed chipset with a workaround of some sort, then there is going to be big uproar.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 5 of 25 (11,331 Views)

Yes it should be stepping B3, this is crazy if HP is shipping the old B2 version.

Tutor
WizardKnight
Message 6 of 25 (11,303 Views)

There are reports of motherboards with the updated "B3" stepping chipset showing up as "B2" within CPU-Z.  Since I no longer have the laptop in question I can't physically inspect the chipset.  I'm recanting my assertion since there is no way to prove either way which version of the chipset was deployed to that machine.

The following link provides an alternative method for chipset stepping identification:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Find-Out-if-Your-Sandy-Bridge-Motherboard-Is-Affected-by-Intel...

If anyone else has an XN093AV replacement machine, perhaps they can post their findings.

If for no other reason than not having to endure the XN093AV trackpad buttons (or lack thereof) I'm still glad they accepted the return and will be replacing the machine with an XW899AV.  Not to mention the free upgrade to HD 6770m graphics, HD webcam and USB 3.0.

HP Administrator
DaniW
Message 7 of 25 (10,664 Views)

Greetings,

The process for properly determining if your HP PC is affected is at: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02712015&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US....

For HP desktop and notebook PCs, a combination of the serial number and Microsoft® Windows® Device Manager must be used to properly determine if an HP PC is affected.

HP PCs shipped beginning March 2011 are not affected by this issue.

For this specific issue, applications and tools designed to report the chipset stepping may not properly report the chipset Revision ID (stepping information).  As an example: B3 may be reported as B2.

The Intel website about this chipset matter contains the important disclaimer below:

“Note: Tools/applications designed to report the Intel® 6 Series Chipset Stepping Revision may not properly report stepping information due to system specific BIOS configurations.”

Source: http://www.intel.com/consumer/products/processors/chipset.htm (scroll to the “note” at the bottom of the page)

DaniW
HP Forum Admin

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 8 of 25 (10,656 Views)

Thanks for clearing this up Dan.

Student
parhelion
Message 9 of 25 (9,770 Views)

IF THERE IS NO PROBLEM THEN FIX THAT THING BY RELEASING NEW BIOS TO SHOW CORRECT REVISION ID OR PUBLISH A DETAILED SATISFACTORY INFORMATION AND STORY OF THIS ISSUE!! :smileymad: We are selling HP laptops and our customers don't trust us completely because of that!! Although we tell them there is no problem your notebook has the new revision chipset, they don't believe us and want to rebate the product. They have too many proofs such device manager info, cpu-z, hwinfo but WE DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING to prove that the product has the new B3 revision chipset!!

And we wonder why do the other brand notebooks show the correct B3 revision id but HP don't? Why do the HP betray its customers' trust?

Intern
zhanggr
Message 10 of 25 (9,463 Views)

HP admit "Intel 6 serial chipset 'B2-Step' mistake" (2011.05.09)!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-systems-and/HP-admit-quot-Intel-6-serial-chipset-B2-...

ThinkPad

Intel AMT 7.1 Management Engine Firmware (83rf30ww) MEInfoWin.exe

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-77012
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/83rf30ww.exe
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/83rf30ww.txt

4.In the Command Prompt, type the following command and press Enter.
[Path where the files were extracted]\MEInfoWin.exe
Example: C:\DRIVERS\WIN\ME\MEInfoWin.exe
The following information will be displayed.

Example:

Intel® MEInfo Version: 7.1.10.1065
Copyright(C) 2005-2011, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Intel® Manageability and Security Application code versions:
BIOS Version: 8XXXXXWW (X.XX )
MEBx Version: 7.0.0.54
Gbe Version: 1.3
VendorID: 8086
PCH Version: 600004 (Note: 04=B2-Step; 05=B3-Step)
==> FW Version: 7.1.10.1065 <==
UNS Version: 7.1.3.1053
LMS Version: 7.1.2.1043
MEI Driver Version: 7.0.0.1144
Wireless Hardware Version: 1.1.85
Wireless Driver Version: 14.0.0.113

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation