Question
HP dv2000/6000/8000/9000/tx1000 Video Problems
Replies (765)

Intern
Wayne_Sallee
Message 21 of 766 (14,073 Views)

Re: HP dv2000/6000/9000/tx1000 Video Problems

I think that it has more to do with the repeated warming up, and cooling down than it does with overheating, though overheating will increase the problem.

This problem is now happening in desktops where the heat issue is better handled.

Wayne Sallee

Wayne@WayneSallee.com

Student
Askopac
Message 22 of 766 (14,032 Views)

Re: HP dv2000/6000/8000/9000/tx1000 Video Problems

dv6575us notebook 
Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS GPU 
Intel Centrino Duo 7300 CPU 
2Gb RAM 
p/n GA404UA#ABA 

Problems first started few days after warranty expired (like everyone else's) so i made full system recovery (this is late September)and it helped until 11/05/08, then problems reappeared with a vengeance, I couldn't even boot every time and this started to happen: 

http://img380.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img6835bt6.jpg 

Problem as you see is pretty much as everyone stated, first notebook starts being a bit warm than the screen starts dying. 

When the problem started I thought it was software or drivers problem but after two full system restores I realized it was hardware problem. HP support was only interested in stating it was software problem and always tried to sell me the 350$ repair package. 

I have bought this notebook so it would replace a desktop computer and I thought it will last at least two or three years and that's why I gave 1300$, if I had known it would die after a year I wold have bought some 400$ entry level machine. 

Fortunately I managed to backup my data before notebook was so unstable it couldn't work for 2 min before crashing.

Intern
lswaidz
Message 23 of 766 (14,110 Views)

islandgirlst: I completely understand your frustration. I spent over $1,500 on a dv9335nr about a year and a half ago that was used primarily for my work, and I had tons and tons of files including customer info, sale info, marketing material, pretty much everything I needed for business. When you work for a company that has 6 people, that type of a loss is pretty serious. I spent a month fighting with various entry level tech support people, supervisors, and case managers. I was insulted by a case manager, and told my laptop failed because of HOW I was using it. I also was told there are no known problems with the graphics chips, and that HP products "never fail." I asked to speak to this persons supervisor and was told "there is no one above me, I am the law." After I said I was going to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, I was hung up on. This prompted me to contact HP directly, and I filed a complaint about the employee. The next day I had a new case manager, and within a week a box showed up to fix my laptop. So as you can see I've been through it. Over a month with no computer is not good, but worse is the way the situation was handled. This forum is a place we can share these stories, and seek advice from other users, but it's not a place to attack HP or their products. That's one of the reasons the old forum was a waste of time. It was just a bunch of people flaming HP, and that's not going to get anything fixed for anyone. Also, NVidia has paid for these errors, but HP has either not received any money or has not delegated it out to fix any problems. It should also be noted that Dell and Apple are not covering ALL of their laptops, just like HP it's on a select few. MacBook Pro's and and pretty diverse range of Dell laptops. Finally, if I'm such a Koolaid drinker, why did I spend over a month collecting information from affected users and why am I named as the primary plaintiff in a certain lawsuit in California? The only reason I'm being hospitable on here is because I don't want messages to start getting censored or deleted like they were on the other forum.
Student
Meir
Message 24 of 766 (14,020 Views)

It's nice to have other friends with the same problem ..

BUT has anyone found a way to overcome the "catstrofe"  withe the Nvidia GPU inside the HP laptops ??

i have a DV9200 CTO which work only with standard VGA driver (NVIDIA not in the game..)

once i try to USE Nvidia GO 7600 and install the driver for it i get the above mentioned symptoms.

Can anyone point me to a solution ?

Teacher
RonKe
Message 25 of 766 (14,000 Views)

Kudos to this new forum (aka ThisForumFragrant)    :smileywink:

There is good moderation, and although the forum loads slow and I request a fix for that and a single PassPort Sign In for this forum coupled with the other HP pages listed above in the header ( Products & Services etc.), this site allows for good text formatting that the Business forum does not.

I am most likely experiencing the precursor problems associated with the NVIDIA GPU failure and I am upset with HP for the manner they are treating their loyal customers.  However, by providing this forum they have given us another way find help, constructively.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sig: Pavilion Model Series# dv9500t (t=Intel)_CTO_Prod# RL653AV_Vista Ultimate (64-bit)_SP1_Intel 2 Duo CPU T7500_2 GB Ram_BIOS F.09_NVIDIA 8600M GS_200GB 7200RPM SATA Dual HD (100GBx2)_HP 300GB HD USB Kit for xb3000_8/2007
Grad Student
James_Cummins
Message 26 of 766 (14,007 Views)

ThisForumStinks wrote:

I think that it has more to do with the repeated warming up, and cooling down than it does with overheating, though overheating will increase the problem.

This problem is now happening in desktops where the heat issue is better handled.

Wayne Sallee

Wayne@WayneSallee.com

The problematic laptop I have was not used very often, did not have nearly as many thermal cycles as desktops here and elsewhere.  Right now I have 7600, 8600, 8800 GPU which have no signs of problems and the main difference is they don't run that hot.  However, some video cards have poor heatsinks or an enthusiast will overclock them to the edge of stability without concern for the resultant temperature.

There is no evidence I am aware of that any parts that failed were not running at excessive temperature.  There seems to have been some urban myths about the what and why.  Yes thermal cycles could effect the solder bumps in the GPU packaging, but still the issue of a thermal cycle is the change in size.  The hotter a chip gets the larger the expansion.  You can stretch a rubber band quite a few times unless you stretch it too far each time.
Edi Honor Student
Honor Student
Edi
Message 27 of 766 (14,003 Views)

Can someone tell me if HP has fixed any model that are not in the extended warranty list?

My info:

Here is my computer info:

• HP Pavilon Model dv9000 -- RD868AV#ABA
  • Bios Version F.16
  • s/n CNF7170QVZ
  • p/n EZ345AV
  • Intel Core Duo
  • Nvidia Graphics card / GPU: Geforce Go 7600 / 512 Mb
  • Warranty -- 1 year
  • Bought April 2007
My computer went dead 2 month ago. Not working with an external monitor either. Contacted HP and they said it's not on the list. Thanks After paying $50 for a service call (Customer Service Order Number: SBA639-01), they told me that if I want me laptop fixed, I need to pay $400 for the repair. I called back and I told me that they could charge reduce it to $300, but that will take 1 extra week. I spent $1,350 in a laptop that is not working at all now. Did anyone had a similar model fixed by HP? 
Intern
Wayne_Sallee
Message 28 of 766 (13,999 Views)

[ Edited ]

What's disgusting is that even though I am one of the fortunate ones to have my laptop listed in the recall list,
they are just replacing the motherboards with defective motherboards.

I already had my motherboard replaced once. And it was just a few months later that the new motherboard started
showing signs of problems. If I get this one replaced, they will just replace it with another bad motherboard.

I already got it replaced once, and had the screen frame repaired from the damage done by the bad hinges

(annother known problem).

See how well I take care of my laptop. :-)

Oh and one more picture of my pretty HP laptop.

I got a black marker and marked over the HP logo.

I did not want anyone to see my pretty laptop and make the same mistake I made.

I couldn't help myself. :-) hehe

Wayne Sallee

Wayne@WayneSallee.com

Message Edited by ThisForumStinks on 11-19-2008 03:10 PM
Intern
Wayne_Sallee
Message 29 of 766 (13,997 Views)

Edi wrote:

Can someone tell me if HP has fixed any model that are not in the extended warranty list?

My info:

• Bios Version F.16
  • s/n CNF7170QVZ
  • p/n EZ345AV
  • Intel Core Duo
  • Warranty -- 1 year
  • Bought April 2007
My computer went dead 2 month ago. Not working with an external monitor either. Contacted HP and they said it's not on the list. Thanks After paying $50 for a service call (Customer Service Order Number: SBA639-01), they told me that if I want me laptop fixed, I need to pay $400 for the repair. I called back and I told me that they could charge reduce it to $300, but that will take 1 extra week. I spent $1,350 in a laptop that is not working at all now. Did anyone had a similar model fixed by HP? 

Yes people have gotten their laptops fixed for free even though they were not on the list. It takes persistance.

It also helps to know who to call. :-)

Wayne Sallee

Wayne@WayneSallee.com

Edi Honor Student
Honor Student
Edi
Message 30 of 766 (13,967 Views)

Wayne Sallee wrote:

Edi wrote:

My info:

• Bios Version F.16
  • s/n CNF7170QVZ
  • p/n EZ345AV
  • Intel Core Duo
  • Warranty -- 1 year
  • Bought April 2007

Yes people have gotten their laptops fixed for free even though they were not on the list. It takes persistance.

It also helps to know who to call. :-)

Wayne Sallee

Wayne@WayneSallee.com

Could you please tell a good telephone number to call, I will appreciate very much. Thanks
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation