Question

Intern
krisshp999
Message 1 of 15 (45,979 Views)

Hp Tools Partion

In my laptop when i go to the disk management partion i see a 99mb partion which states hp tools, what is inside this partion, can i delete it and is it safe to remove that partion . please help me thanks

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 15 (45,956 Views)

Re: Hp Tools Partion

It is a diagnostic partition that contains tools allowing access directly to the BIOS from Windows. I would not delete it you will lose some functions although it is not necessary to the basic operation fo the laptop.

Intern
krisshp999
Message 3 of 15 (45,943 Views)

why would i accees the bios from the windows is it nessearcy what would i ever use that for

Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 15 (45,942 Views)

As I said you can delete it without affecting the operation of the laptop. Some people don't know how to get into the BIOS and frankly should not be in the BIOS so HP allows access to BIOS settings from Windows with some of its utilities. Purely optional. I saw from another post you are installing another OS (maybe Linux?) so obviously something has to go and it can be the HPTOOLS partition if you wish.

Intern
krisshp999
Message 5 of 15 (45,938 Views)

yes i want to install linux , your right and i want it to be a dual boot with my new laptops windows 7 64bit versin, but the problem is that i need another partion (i got a 300gb hhd and another 12gb recovery partion) BUT I CANT HAVE MORE than 4 partions , as i have 1 for my os , 2nd for recovery, 3 FOR THE HP TOOL PARTION AND 4th the system partion , and windows doesnt allow me to create a 5th partion for linux , so this is why im stuck, is theere a software to overcome this problem and let me create a another partition , thanks

Provost
Huffer
Message 6 of 15 (45,919 Views)

The limit is 4 primary partitions. You can add additional seconday partitions. When I do Linux I always do a Windows partition, then a /root then a linx swap and then a /home making them all primary. If you make the recovery disks using the HP Recovery Manager you could also get rid of the recovery partition. 

Honor Student
hanciong
Message 7 of 15 (45,100 Views)

[ Edited ]

yes, I have the same problem with you. I hate if there are too many recovery/system partitions, because it make us more difficult to dual boot with linux. finally, I did this: I make the recovery discs, then I delete recovery partition and HP_TOOLS partition. I have used recovery discs once. Turns out that, using it will make the recovery partition reappear (but I don't know whether it will make HP_TOOLS reappear, because I use recovery discs BEFORE I delete HP_TOOLS).

after you delete HP_TOOLS partition, BEWARE about one thing: do you have something called HP support assistant in your laptop? if yes, beware when it wants to upgrade HP software, because it will make HP_TOOLS partition reappear without your permission!! I really hate this. fortunately this happens before I dual boot with ubuntu. otherwise, you can imagine the mess!! (as I already have 4 primary partitions: system, C, data, and ubuntu, the appearance of another primary one, in this case HP_TOOLS, will clearly mess something up, maybe I can not even boot or whatever.) I think for now I will not update HP software, because I don't want HP_TOOLS reappear without my knowledge and mess with something.

I have deleted HP_TOOLS for 1 week and everything works fine (except the one where it reappears again without my knowledge).

Honor Student
Holti
Message 8 of 15 (41,701 Views)

I accidently deleted the files inside the HC Tools partition. How can I recover those files?

Master's Graduate
Matt_Lo
Message 9 of 15 (41,687 Views)

@Holti

HP System Diagnostics UEFI

This link will restore your HP Tools partition.

"I'm looking for a laptop that looks like it's wrapped in super-rich, smoothed out tangerine peels." -TheMusicMaker
Top Student
wants-to-know
Message 10 of 15 (33,984 Views)

I have purchased a HP notebook/laptop computer in February. It had Windows 7 Home Premium pre-installed. I recently found a need to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate becuase Ultimate had features I needed that Home Premium did not have. I want to delete the recovery partition and the HP_TOOLS volume. WHen I tried to contact HP Support (via chat), all I was told is "HP does not recommend deleting the recovery partition" and "HP will only support the originally installed OS". I even asked about going through HP to upgrade to Ultimate. I kep getting the same messages stated above from the support chat operator. I know how to delete the recovery partition and recover the space into the main partition on the C: drive. Can someone please tell me how to delete the HP_TOOLS volume and recover the space into the main partition on the C: drive? The HP_TOOLS volume is in FAT32 format, and, of course, the rest of the drive is in the NTFS format. I do not wish to format the hard drive and reload, because I have a lot of software on it that would be very difficult if not impossible to replace. I am not worried about recovery. I have an excellent backup/restore program which takes a complete perfect image backup nightly, and allows for a speedy image restore, should one be needed. As far as recovery is concerned, if my hard drive should crash, or should I buy a new one, I would not have access to the recovery partition anyway. A prompt and professiona response would be greatle appreciated. THank you very much.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation