Keyboard not working properly on HP laptop - Pavilion g series/Windows 7 (197674 Views)
Honor Student
hpsupportuser
Message 1 of 82 (197,674 Views)

Keyboard not working properly on HP laptop - Pavilion g series/Windows 7

Re:  Pavilion g series/Windows 7 HP laptop

My son was typing on Word and all of a sudden the keys stopped typing letters  and numbers.  The keys sometimes open up other windows when hit or indent.  It happens on any search window, too, so it isn't just word.   We are unable to type anything.  I'm afraid to turn off the computer and start it up as we may not be able to type in the password!  the touchpad is working and I can see the cursor.  

For example, when I type "h" into a seach box nothing happens.  When I try "i" it moves it over about 10 spaces (indents?) but nothing appears.  The backspace works.

I think he may have hit something to change the settings but I can't figure it out.  

Honor Student
hpsupportuser
Message 2 of 82 (197,658 Views)

Re: Keyboard not working properly on HP laptop - Pavilion g series/Windows 7

I restarted the computer and it is working properly!

Student
Nessatrixx
Message 3 of 82 (197,388 Views)

That same problem just happened to me and I have the exactly same computer so I also restarted my laptop and it began to work perfectly again.
Student
Sommore
Message 4 of 82 (196,963 Views)

Mines a HP 200z-400 notebook and it has done this twice to me, but like you two said after resetting it it seems to work properly. i just dont get why the keyboards do this. thats not good at all, mine isnt even a year old yet. it irks me so much

Top Student
Atomiconnection
Message 5 of 82 (196,753 Views)

Same problem: Letter keys no longer register letters but other functions like "end", "home", opening web browser, etc.

I need to be sure that this problem does not occur during an exam.

Possible solution: (1) Press "shift" five times. (2) Click on "Go to the Ease of Access Center...." (3) Uncheck the "Lock modifier keys when pressed twice in a row" under "Options." (4) Click "Apply." (5) Restart computer.

Please let me know if the solution works. It's too early to tell in my case.

Honor Student
scubadave
Message 6 of 82 (196,053 Views)

The reason for this is, your system needs a BIOS update.

This is a simple fix.

You will need your product number.

You cannot click on this link, but enter this address and follow the instructions.

www.hp.com/go/contacthp                    Enter your product number.

click on the updates and drivers. Update your BIOS, when you have finished

you must REBOOT

This will put you back in the game.

Student
pamella77
Message 7 of 82 (187,134 Views)

Interesting my computer guy just told me my keyboard just died !!! so need to get a new one 

doesnt sound right to me ...I will just do these test to see what happens any other suggestions( no stringing up) 

Top Student
Atomiconnection
Message 8 of 82 (187,092 Views)

Your computer guy is probably right. My keyboard still goes crazy. I called HP about this and we narrowed down the issue as a hardware problem. I asked for my money back (or HP credit) because I was covered under warranty. After "escalating" my issue to their manager, HP promised to call back, and they never did. This happened twice. And then my warranty expired.

I am disappointed with HP's way of doing business. I switched my computer to another brand. I will never go back. I'm so happy with my Lenovo ThinkPad.

Student
bobbyzgirl
Message 9 of 82 (184,997 Views)

I was typing on word and may have accidently hit something that caused the keyboard to stop functioning, not sure.  .  I closed Word but the keyboard still didn't respond.  I shut down the computer in an attempt to reboot but now cannot get past entering my password because of keyboard is still not functioning.  Any suggestions?

Top Student
bstaffield
Message 10 of 82 (183,848 Views)

Hi all, having the same problem with my HP Folio 13. I've had it exactly 1 week. After 2 days, it stopped letting me type normally (in Word doc, browser window, plain text, doesn't matter), and started firing off all kinds of shortcuts - R triggered the run command, E triggered explore my computer, space bar took me back to the desktop, etc. In addition, all number keys ceased to function.

I've talked with four different HP representatives, and tried four separate solutions - 1)uninstall keyboard via control panel 2) update to latest BIOS version, 3) reset to default BIOS version that my computer came with, and 4) factory reset the entire system. The first three options worked for a day or two, but the problem kept recurring. The hard reset did nothing at all.

After the last attempt failed, the rep connected me with his supervisor, who advised me to send my laptop in for hardware repair (they *think* it's a keyboard problem). He said this is the first time they've received a report of this nature. The repair is under warranty, so it shouldn't cost anything to get fixed. HP is sending me a box to return the thing in, it should be in shop for 4-6 business days, then get shipped back to me. They also offered me a call back once I got it back to make sure it was completely fixed.

Will post an update later, hopefully it's a happy ending!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation