Question
Keyboard not working properly on HP laptop - Pavilion g series/Windows 7
Replies (94)

Top Student
bstaffield
Message 11 of 95 (32,487 Views)

UPDATE: Keyboard not working properly on HP laptop - Pavilion g series/Windows 7

UPDATE to my reply on 10/8/12 - 

Just got my laptop back. HP ended up replacing the keyboard and now it works fine. They were really fast - HP paid for overnight FedEx, so I got it back within three days. 

Top Student
bstaffield
Message 12 of 95 (32,377 Views)

Re: UPDATE: Keyboard not working properly on HP laptop - Pavilion g series/Windows 7

UPDATE #2: 

Well, the keyboard crapped out again. I called HP and they won't refund me, but will send me a replacement laptop with similar specs. Engineering has no idea why the keyboard keeps acting up. 

After all the hassle, I'm not interested in a replacement HP. I've gone instead with an ASUS U36SD-A51, and I LOVE IT. Just to recover my funds, though, I'm planning on selling the replacement when HP sends it to me. 

This experience has definitely burned me - I will never recommend a HP laptop to anyone now.

Honor Student
Stony100
Message 13 of 95 (30,444 Views)

Re: Keyboard not working properly on HP laptop - Pavilion g series/Windows 7

My other hp computer has the keyboard not working in facebook and most other applications---but not all

Honor Student
Stony100
Message 14 of 95 (30,441 Views)

for no reason the keybord stopped showing the entered letters
Top Student
HPHatesYou
Message 15 of 95 (30,018 Views)

I have a similar problem: the HP "beats" keyboard will not print "tilde" and "quotation" signs after a first press and after the second press it will print it twice, and the NUM LOCK digits won't print at all. No tech support in a MONTH was able to resolve this and there was a lot of b/s and disrespect from tech. support and a lot of wasted hours and days. Then finally an employee from HP told me to not bother with those techies, just return thePC and get my money back for this HP junk.

Wow, HP is sending you a box to return your junk to them? I'm surprised, cause to me HP cathegorically refused to send any boxes and since I already destroyed my boxes I'm unable to return my PC and monitor to them. Yet I'm gonna pack the way I can and still send it to them. And never ever buy anything HP ever again! And I will stop spending whatsoever!

After a MONTH of complete NIGHTMARE I am returning my HP Pavilion and will never buy any HP products ever again!

And Microsoft as well. I paid for Windows 8 CD that never arrived, so Microsoft is good con as well.

Top Student
HPHatesYou
Message 16 of 95 (30,016 Views)

It's allegedly a con similar to SONY DSC camera con when it failed to everyone 3 years later, when they have a class action lawsuit as the only resolution with free roundtrip shipping and free repair to thousands of customers. My PC vs. keyboard is failing as well and the keyboard works fine on other computers, which means a hardware probvlem and HP does not have a single techie that is able to repir this issue, so why would I ever want to buy anything with "HP" on it..... Never again. I had enoughof HP and MS b/s and am gonna purchase a Mac computer or another PC with an operational system that will not be Microsoft Windows nor HP.

Top Student
HPHatesYou
Message 17 of 95 (30,015 Views)

Just got an RMA return label for FEDEX and HP declared value for my return desktop HP Pavilion at $100, this is how much they value their junk at $100 for which I paid close to $1500. Bybye Windows and bybye HP.

Student
Annieg410
Message 18 of 95 (29,919 Views)

This has happened to me repeatedly.  The keyboard freezes up and you have to restart to get it back. I have had the bios update, I have sent my computer back to HP for repairs as it is still under warranty. Nothing fixes it. They deny it is a systemic problem and are doing NOTHING to fix it. I am ready to throw this piece of junk out the window. I will not purchase HP again. They refuse to replace and cannot figure out how to repair. As soon as I can afford to get another laptop, this thing is going in the trash. Lesson learned. 

Honor Student
hedgemonk
Message 19 of 95 (29,115 Views)

-SOLVED-

So, when you are typing all of a sudden the keys set of commands instead of type letters? "p" prints, "c" feeds your cat, etc.

To resolve:

On your touchpad, double tap in the top left corner. Now your keyboard is fine again. hurray! :smileyhappy:

Honor Student
TheLoneHoot
Message 20 of 95 (28,289 Views)

Sorry but I would say

-NOT SOLVED-

reboots are doing nothing for me.  Removed battery, waited 30 min, reinstalled battery, rebooted - no joy.  it is as if the "P" key is stuck down, but it's not really.  You can type other letters, but as soon as you end the keystroke for another key, "P" resumes repeating non-stop.   Obviously I can't update the BIOS on this thing as I can't do ANYTHING that requires typing any command or internet address, etc.

mouse pad tapping in ANY location is ineffective.

Lastly, (and this is not an "attack" on you, hedgemonk, rather just a general thought) what kind of "solution" is tapping in a specific location on the trackpad anyway?  The real point is, regardless of HOW someone is able to "solve" this problem, it's a problem that shouldn't be occurring to begin with.  Moreover, end users should not be the ones addressing possible solutions - HP support people should.  And HP support people should be providing solutions... even if it is something bizarre like tapping the trackpad a certain way, reciting magic spells, or any other method.  HP support people need to be the ones providing answers.

It seems to me, from what I've read here, that

a.)  HP doesn't monitor this board 

b.)  HP doesn't CARE (or they would be addressing this)

Fortunately it does seem as though one can get a replacement unit (if it's still under warranty, which mine is).   However, your warranty is unlikely to begin anew from that point, rather you will have whatever remainder there is of your original warranty period.  That being the presumed case, I will likely do as someone else here suggested and sell the brand new unit and purchase another brand.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation