Question

Top Student
lavieira
Message 1 of 37 (162,916 Views)

Laptop plugged in but not charging the battery

My laptop CQ60 153EM has a problem since i purchage it. Does not mater if the machine is on or off but when i plugged the power the charging light does not show and if i am on the vista the problem is the same, no charging light and the power meter shoes that is not charging. If i wait for long time, sometimes 1 hour or more is starts charging but is very strange. I assume that the issue ir not software related because if the machine is off i have the same problem. Not sure if the problem is the battery or not. I have the machine since January 2009.
Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 2 of 37 (162,905 Views)

Re: Laptop plugged in but not charging the battery

Hi,

Contact with Hp and give it to service cause Your laptop is on warrenty.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Student
iblues
Message 3 of 37 (162,323 Views)

Hi,

I bought a HP Pavilion DV9000 (17 inch) laptop from US on April 2008. From past 2 weeks, my battery is not at all charging.

The battery icon in the taskbar shows "1% available (plugged in, not charging)"

I have tried re-installing 'Microsoft ACPI-Complaint Control Method Battery" as mentioned in lot of forums. I have also tried updating BIOS and Vista 64-bit to the latest versions. The issue still remains resolved.

Please help me out here..

Regards,

iblues

JTW Top Student
Top Student
JTW
Message 4 of 37 (162,132 Views)

Your battery could just be dead. There are a finite number of cycles that any rechargeable battery can endure and getting more than a year's worth of charges is simply a blessing. Count on needing to replace it once a year (mine's been going strong for almost 3 years now oddly enuff). That said, the battery could still be fine and your charger could be the issue. Any breaks or pinches in the line? Also, check the HP supprt site for battery recalls. It's possible you have a unit that has been affected by one of the recalls. Get the battery info off your battery first and then look it up online to see if you might qualify for a new free replacement battery. Namaste.

Top Student
rupster9
Message 5 of 37 (161,226 Views)

1. Shut down the laptop with the battery in and plugged in.
  2. Remove the battery.
  3. Reboot the machine.
  4. Wait for Vista to come up and show the power icon.
  5. Reinstall the battery.
Associate Professor
Adamtech
Message 6 of 37 (161,204 Views)

If that does not work, I would suggest a battery replacement.

*Remember to mark your questions solved and click the "Kudos" star to show your thanks!

aml Top Student
Top Student
aml
Message 7 of 37 (136,144 Views)

hp laptop is not recognizing battery being plugged in.
laptop is under service plan at bestbuy, brought it in, they said it was fixed it without replacing anything (they took it apart and put it back together and now  it works, they said items shifted around). 

picked it up and one day later again, laptop doesn't recognize the plug is plugged into laptop, wiggled it too.   Best buy recentlly replaiced hard drive and area for sound and screen. i didn't have that problem before.  Any suggestions?

Student
samshik
Message 8 of 37 (131,985 Views)

[ Edited ]

hi Mine is hp mini 2133 ,having it for more than 3 yrs.My battery is not charging ,t charging indicator  just blinks in brown and it never charges,runs on ac power .when switched of t main t whole system fails out.reply a solution

Thanks in advance

Student
amitcomeng
Message 9 of 37 (120,481 Views)

i have compaq 610 laptop it is plugged in but not charging.

please give a solution for this.

Top Student
dholmes5
Message 10 of 37 (108,612 Views)

Check the power cord. A friend of mine was complaining her CQ60 wouldn't charge unless she jiggled the plug connection at the laptop. She thought it was the battery and ordered another one but found it was still not charging correctly. I looked at it and confirmed that the cord had one loose connection at the barrel plug. The cord was easily fixed by slicing a concentric circle around the plug about a 1/2 inch down from the rubber end and then peeling it off to expose the two wires. I found one wire broken from the solder joint and thus not getting a good connection. I drilled a small hole into the metal barrel to make a better contact and then resoldered the wire into the hole. I then super glued the concentric section I sliced off and then put a piece of 1/2" 2:1 heat shrink tubing ($1.25 on eBay) around it and shrank it around the repair. It's fixed and due to the black heat shrink tubing, you can barely see it was repaired. Hope this helps!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation