Question

Honor Student
Zeke_R
Message 1 of 5 (1,811 Views)

Maximum ram: more than HP says?

I have a Compaq Presario CQ60 420US, and I'm upgrading to Windows 7 64-bit soon.  The laptop shipped with 3GB ram, a 2GB chip and a 1GB chip.  I know 64-bit really shines if it has more than 4GB ram to utilize, but HP says my motherboard only supports 4GB max.  However, SIW says that my motherboard can do 8192 MB (8GB) maximum (screenshot).  It says it's a Wistron 3612 motherboard, but I can't seem to find any really useful information on it.

Can I install more than 4GB total ram with individual 4GB chips? Or, do you know how to contact Wistron to find out?

Thanks!  =?

Master's Graduate
Comptronic
Message 2 of 5 (1,784 Views)

Re: Maximum ram: more than HP says?

First,  I'd like to start off saying that SIW is not always 100% accurate.  SIW said my laptop has (3) Memory slots, however, I only have (2).

Check this website out.  It is a well known and reputible website.  The bad news is that I tried to look for your specific model and could not find it.  Maybe I mis-typed something.  Give it a try.  It will tell you exactly how much memory your computer can handle and what type as well.

Honor Student
Zeke_R
Message 3 of 5 (1,780 Views)

[ Edited ]

I checked them out; Kingston has a similar search tree here:  http://www.kingston.com/branded/default.asp and they do list the CQ60 420US.  They also say that 4GB is the maximum. 

I guess I'm thinking in a couple different directions. One, is there a way to figure out the specifications for my particular motherboard?  I would think the manufacturers of it would know the most whether or not it can handle higher amounts. And two, if I get the larger ram and install it, would it damage the system or would it just not run, or barely run, such that I could remove it and return it.

Also I seem to remember something like a BIOS update being a possibility, for configuring certain (AMD I think?) motherboards to recognize higher amounts of ram than before. Is there any merit to that notion?

Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 5 (1,749 Views)

[ Edited ]

The motherboard is pure HP as with all HP laptops. There is no separate motherboard manufacturer. You do realize 2 x 4 gig laptop memory modules is going to cost maybe $325-400, right? They probably do not mention 8 gigs as the max because it is assumed nobody will put that much memory in it, when the memory will cost almost as much as the laptop is worth. There is a chance it will run 8 gigs and you have nothing to lose by trying as long as you can return the memory. It will not damage the computer; likely just fail to boot. You will not see any significant improvement by installing 8 gigs as opposed to 4 on that machine, as a final word on the subject.

Honor Student
Zeke_R
Message 5 of 5 (1,731 Views)

Hummm.  It's more like ~$210 if I get it from Newegg, but I see your point.  I will probably just save up and plan out a computer tower from components, then.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation