Question

Tutor
krayeb
Message 1 of 11 (6,565 Views)

My computer won't recognize my charger?

Okay, so I have an HP Pavilion DV7-1135NR notebook PC running Windows 7. Earlier today I unplugged it from the charger and used it until it was almost dead, I shut it off and plugged it back in. I noticed that the charging light didn't turn on after I plugged it in. I turned the computer back on and plugged it in, the light was still off, and my computer didn't show that it was charging. I kept it plugged into the charger hoping that it would charge, but it didn't, and it died. I tried plugging another charger into it, but it still won't work. I tried turning it on without the battery and just the charger and it still wont work. Does anybody know what's happening? It isn't under warranty anymore so HP will not allow me to email them about my problem.

Grad Student
Sreenag_K
Message 2 of 11 (6,557 Views)

Re: My computer won't recognize my charger?

[ Edited ]

If the black brick in the adapter is not getting warmed up, it is a hardware failure which needs to be replaced. Also to rule out any hardware failures on the notebook itself, check with an alternate adapter to see if that charges the battery.

Let us know for more!

"I work for HP."
Click the Kudos star to say thanks
Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem

Regards
Sreenag
Tutor
krayeb
Message 3 of 11 (6,549 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well the adapter isn't warming up, I've tried another one on it and it still won't charge. Do you think that the DC jack might be part of the problem??

Grad Student
Sreenag_K
Message 4 of 11 (6,531 Views)

Yes. It could be an issue with either the charger or the battery itself. You may run the battery test by following the steps in the below link as well. to narrow down the cause.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00821536&cc=ad&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_us...

Please post the update of the solution for further help.

Let us know for more!

"I work for HP."

Regards
Sreenag
Tutor
krayeb
Message 5 of 11 (6,530 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well, the problem is that the battery is already dead, I'm using a friends computer to post these. Before this all hapened, my computer kept saying to replace the battery, but it was charging normally then.

I didn't note that the charger led on the front of the laptop is continuously blinking...

Grad Student
Sreenag_K
Message 6 of 11 (6,504 Views)

You may replace the battery and check if that helps. Normally the adapter doesn't go bad that easily. As you were also being prompted about the battery replacement. Would recommend you to do the same and check for the issue.

Post the update of the solution for further help.

Let us know for more!

"I work for HP."

Regards
Sreenag
Tutor
krayeb
Message 7 of 11 (6,473 Views)

[ Edited ]

I got a replacement battery, and the battery works fine. It still isn't charging, though. Nothing lights up when I plug my charger in, and I've used 3 different chargers on it.  I took the battery out and plugged the adapter into the computer to see if it would turn on by the AC power only, and it won't do that either...

OHMYGOSH, I didn't mention this possible crucial piece of information....before it stopped working, my brother tripped on the cord and ripped it out harder than anything.....maybe that will help diagnose something.

And The AC adapter doesn't charge any other computers that use the same kind of charger.

Tutor
krayeb
Message 8 of 11 (6,453 Views)

Alright, I got the problem solved....I replaced the DC jack after replacing the battery and charger didn't do anything. Changing the DC jack did the trick, I guess it was broken because one of the wires that connects to the port  was disconnected and i didn't notice it. Thanks for all your guyses help! :smileyhappy:

Student
overture41
Message 9 of 11 (3,962 Views)

I am having the same problem with my acer laptop.  It wont recognize charger and I don't think it is a  battery issue.  How do you replace the dc jack?

Student
jimcorvette
Message 10 of 11 (1,549 Views)

replace battery charger port laptop

does any one know where to get the  DC power jack and how to replace it on a HP OPavillion Laptop? mine is bad, broken center pin?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation