Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
My 1 month old laptop(vista sp1 64 bit) keeps getting really hot then giving me a blank screen then shutting down, it takes about 30 min for this to happen. I've been tinkering with and doing basic repairs on my computers for years but i have no clue with this one. Any ideas on what's causing it and what do do would be greatly appreciated.
Message Edited by MrAnkaku on 05-02-2009 07:07 PM
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Heh, yeah that is way too high. Just make sure to clean the air intakes first, it is still possible there is dirt preventing proper cooling, but open a support ticket right away.

View solution in original post

55 REPLIES 55
HP Recommended

Hi!

I can only speculate on some of the reasons why. It could be a defective fan; program/programs running in the background that requires cpu to run at least 50% most of the time; clog up/blocked air vent; accumulated dust in the cooling fins; non-application of thermal grease in the processor and heat sink, etc. These are being discuss in the different categories in the Notebook and business forum. Try searching in these forums for answers to your problem. While searching for an answer perhaps you can temporarily set the fan to be always on in the bios.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

Besides the above, is the type you have the one with the integrated Nvidia 9 series GPU (as opposed to the one featuring ATI)?

The reason I am asking is that there is an increase in the rumour mill (originating from an Nvidia forum and a tech review site) that the epoxy type and heat pipe used in the dv7 series featuring integrated Nvidia chipset are the same as those which suffer so badly in the 7 and 8 series. It would be interesting to find out temperature ranges on your notebook for GPU.

Still, sofar it's just rumour. But that is how the whole 7 & 8 series drama began 😕 There is a good chance that the cause is any one of the options Leo raised, or a combination of. Make sure to clean the machine properly as per HP's instructions, run hardware diagnostics from HP and run a temperature monitoring tool (like HWmonitor or GPU-Z). Keep in mind that since you are running 64bit, there is always a good chance that the system is having a hickup because there is an unsigned driver or driver incompatibility somewhere.

HP Recommended
I got a temperature program and the gpu stays around 90 degrees Celseius!!! I think I'll send it in to HP.
HP Recommended
Heh, yeah that is way too high. Just make sure to clean the air intakes first, it is still possible there is dirt preventing proper cooling, but open a support ticket right away.
HP Recommended

I have a dv7-1105tx  and it has the nvidia  graphic chip set  .

Is always running hot    fan runs all the  time   case on top especialy  left hand side is warm to hot at times depending on what i running.

Have speedfan software monitoring core  temps     cores 1 and 2  always  55  to 70  degrees  celsius    GPU even higher

Puter  hasnt shut down yet   but are these  temps  normal?

of everything is clean and spotless  on outside.  only had puter  3 minths.  havent opend casing  in case  i void warranty  

HP Recommended

I am having major overheating problems with my Dv7. To the point that I can't get anywhere on it. Luckily, i have 4 days left on my warranty. It opens and closes everything when my mouse/pointer is over it.... They want me to send it away to have the motherboard replaced.... has anyone else had this similar problem?

Mine is VERY hot in the bottom left hand corner as well as the cord thingy gets super hot too... this is NOT good. This computer cost me a bundle... guess I will also purchase the extended warranty as well... who knows what is going to happen once I get it back. 

HP Recommended

i have the dv7-1240us and it also is overheating constantly.  I even have a cooling pad and a huge fan that is blowing across my laptop and myself constantly.  i have followed all their things they told me to do and it is still happening.  It gets hot in the same spot and the cord gets so hot if it is covered the system will also shut off.  this is crazy.

HP Recommended

i have a dv7-1240us that just started overheating when playing games like counter-strike:source for example. bought a chill pad with dual fans. seems to be working okay but it is annoying.

mewildetoo, your cord getting hot...make sure its not on carpet or fabric. the "brick" will overheat and eventually fail. went through that with hp already. they sent me a new one free

HP Recommended

I also have a DV7 and it is always overheating. Techinicians told me it is because HP designs their klaptosp for very poor ventilation. I had a similar problem with my previous HP laptop. They tell me HP just doesnt get it and they recommend other brands with better design.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.