Question

Student
sanket123
Message 1 of 20 (56,584 Views)

Smart Hard Disk Error 301

I have HP Pavilion dv4-1241 TX,bought in june 2008. When I turn it on it shows smart hard disk error 301 and tells to run diagnostic test. When I run quick test ,it does not go beyond 54%. Can someone please tell me the solution?

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 20 (56,555 Views)

Re: Smart Hard Disk Error 301

A new hard drive, sorry to say.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 3 of 20 (56,553 Views)

Hi,

The Smart error you are seeing is telling you the Hard Drive is failing and the solution is to replace the drive.  This is not a difficult procedure and let me know if you require a guide on how to do thisIt would also be very wise to make sure you back up all your files etc as soon as possible.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
brandonqi
Message 4 of 20 (55,290 Views)

i need help, my laptop get smart disk check error 301 today and when i click the hard disk test, the system says that test failure in a second. what should i do ?

Honor Student
shahz
Message 5 of 20 (53,332 Views)

it means that you have to get your laptop hard disc replaced .

Top Student
Dmarii24
Message 6 of 20 (50,449 Views)

Can you please help me in backing up the files... I have the same problem and I would like to know if I loose all my documents and pictures ect. How can I get it back thanks
Associate Dean
REO51ST
Message 7 of 20 (50,398 Views)

SMART test is not a failure report.

The SMART Hard Disk test produces a prediction about the potential for hard drive failure, not an actual failure. A SMART Hard Disk error warning can appear for a variety of reasons such as the computer having been jarred sharply, or the hard disk being subjected to higher than usual temperatures.

Perform HP's hard drive test.
We at the HP forum try to make your HP experience the best.

****Click the Thumbs up to say thanks****

HP Expert Tester "Now testing HP Pavilion 15t i3-4030U Win8.1, 6GB RAM and 750GB HDD"
Microsoft Registered Refurbisher
Registered Microsoft Partner
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician Certification in progress.
Top Student
Dmarii24
Message 8 of 20 (50,298 Views)

yes i tried all the test and they all passed except the hard disk 303 i just want to know how can i get my documents , pictures, ect..  and can i buy another hard disk ... is it worth it .. please help me and thanks

Provost
DavidPK
Message 9 of 20 (50,244 Views)

Hi,

One possible way to try and retrieve your files from a non-booting drive is to follow the process detailed in the link below.  The Ubuntu operating system CD you create can run from the CD alone ( ie it doesn't have to install on the Hard Drive ) and I've often found it to be successful in retrieving data even from a failing Hard Drive.  When you've created the CD, follow the instructions and see if you can back up your existing files. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windo...

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
xzarina
Message 10 of 20 (47,315 Views)

i am getting a 301 hard drive error, but in the quick test, it is getting 100% complete with no errors. but for complete test it wasnt proceeding 00% for around 5 minutes, what should i do? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation