Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hello, I'm attempting to fix a HP laptop (HP G61) and discovered that it use Smart Battery technology.

The battery is old so it doesn't hold charge anymore. Rather than ordering replacement battery, I want to power the laptop using AC adapter only.

The laptop will NOT turn on if the battery is taken out. Is there any way to disable the smart battery technology so I can get it to run properly like a traditional laptop? This SB technology is actually preventing me from reinstalling Windows on it using the recovery discs supplied by HP.

Also during the installation process, I have received an alert to keep the laptop plugged in to an AC outlet when it already is. Clicking on OK will not let me go on. Instead I have to take out the battery from the compartment (with the laptop still on and plugged to AC) and then the alert goes away, letting me get on with the installation. When its time to install from disc 2 of 2, I wasn't able to get past this stage using all imaginable methods.

If anyone have suggestion, please let me know.

Thanks,

Devin
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi DevinC,

Thank you for your inquiry, I will try my best to assist you!

I understand you are unable to start the notebook, with the battery out and it has the SMART technology.

Understanding Lithium-Ion and Smart Battery Technology

Some notebooks must have a battery installed to start. The battery does not necessarily need to hold a charge.

What happens is, upon boot it looks for the battery first and if it does not find one, it stalls.

If you install the battery and then connect to AC when it finds the battery and is unable to start, it will then go to the AC and start the boot process normally.

I hope this has helped.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi Sparkles1,

Thanks for your response. I am unable to install the OS on the laptop. Is it possible for HP to replace the laptop if the problem was found to be at HP's fault?

Thanks,

Devin

HP Recommended

Hi DevinC,

Thank you for your reply.

If you are still unable to complete the recovery process, I suggest contacting HP support for assistance.   They will be the one to determine what they will or will not do.   Please  be sure to explain the issue completely to the agent.

Please call HP technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region HP Technical Support Sitemap.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.