Question

Honor Student
18-3-2011
Message 1 of 8 (4,212 Views)

USB Ports on HP Probook 4520s don't work

[ Edited ]

I've recently bought a new HP Probook 4520s and I am usually working without its battery.

I've noticed a problem related to the two USB ports on the right.

When I connect an external hard disk drive to any of these ports, the hard disk is automatically mounting/unmounting every 5 seconds, again and again without any obvious reason.

I think it has to do with the low voltage in these ports.

When I connect the same hard disk to the combo eSATA/USB port or the USB port on the left, the disk works without any problem.

According to the Service Manual, the two ports on the left are incorporated into the motherboard, whereas the two problematic USB ports on the right are connected to the motherboard with a USB connector and a Base Cable Kit.

When I use the battery, all USB ports work fine, but when I plug in the AC adapter to charge it, the problem with the USB ports on the right arises again.

What's going on?

How can I solve the problem?

Thank you in advance!

Honor Student
Lantuin
Message 2 of 8 (4,118 Views)

Re: USB Ports on HP Probook 4520s don't work

Hello,

me and other two people with HP Probook 4520s have the same problem

Honor Student
18-3-2011
Message 3 of 8 (4,097 Views)

The product number (p/n) of my laptop is XN611ES.

A friend of mine faced exactly the same problem in an HP Probook 4520s with the same product number.

What's your product number?

You can find it in the label on the bottom of the laptop, below the serial number (s/n).

Thank you.

Honor Student
Lantuin
Message 4 of 8 (4,059 Views)

Mine is WT135EA#ABZ

Honor Student
18-3-2011
Message 5 of 8 (4,052 Views)

Lantuin wrote:

Mine is WT135EA#ABZ

Therefore the problem is general, not only for XN611ES model.

Are you thinking of getting your laptop to an HP Service Center to fix the problem?

As I wrote in my first post, I think that the service staff has to change the problematic connector or Base Cable Kit that connects the 2 USB ports on the right with the laptop's motherboard.
If they are not able to do it, I don't know if they can replace the problematic product with a new one that works flawlessly.

Honor Student
Lantuin
Message 6 of 8 (4,036 Views)

I don't think so, this is not my personal laptop, it comes from my work, I don't think they will bring it to an hp service station. Do you know that usb work correctly if you doesn't attach the charge battery? Try it!!!!! ;-)

Honor Student
18-3-2011
Message 7 of 8 (4,030 Views)

[ Edited ]

I know that the USB ports work fine when you operate the laptop with the battery only.

The problem is that I almost always work (for various reasons) with the AC adapter plugged.

Student
squallw
Message 8 of 8 (3,738 Views)

Same problem here with 4520s... i just bought a new one and it has some problems.Mine come with 2 stuck pixels that isn't covered by warranty, and now the right usb problem. In my case, its work with some devices(pendrives and mices tested) but not work with my ipod, iphone and gps.

Is there any easy solution for this?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation