Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Since a few days now I get the message

'The USB-device was not recognized: One of the USB-devices connected to this computer does not work correclty. The device has not been recognized'.

It keeps popping up from my right corner below, every 5 seconds if I don't click it. When I click the message, I get a list of USB devices (ports) there are available. There's one 'Unknown device'. Maybe it has something to do with the finger scan (biometric)? This hasn't been working very good lately..

Even when there's no single USB device installed (normally I have a mouse and a Targus laptop chill mat installed as USB devices), it keeps popping up. I tried deleting the USB port from the list (or uninstall it) in Device control, but it seems it keeps happening.

I suddenly got it, I did nothing specific of did not connect any strange devices (except for a projector on the external monitor exit, but that has nothing to do with USB). I also hear the sound for connecting and disconnecting USB devics randomly when I'm on my laptop.

Anyone has any idea?

Thanks

HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
LE902EA#UUG

Windows 7 64 bit

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The solution can be found here

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

This will stop the popups:

1. You're familiar with device manager so go into it and expand USB Controllers (Universal Serial Bus Controllers)

2. Right click each of the USB Controllers and select "Properties"

3. Click on the "Advanced" tab at the top of the window

4. At the bottom left of the window put a check mark in "Don't tell me about USB errors" and click "OK"

Do this for each USB option in device manager and with any luck the pop-ups will stop.

But you have a bad device and you will still hear the connect/disconnect sound until you find out what it is.

See if you can find a hardware ID in Device Manager for the Unknown device. I also suspect it may be the fingerprint reader.

HP Recommended

I haven't found the box to hide these messages. They're still showing on and off. Sometimes (like now) it doesn't show, sometimes it does.

Anyway, I've just found out that my (internal) webcam is broken. I started Cyberlink Youcam and it said that no webcam was detected... I've updated the software and all, but it still can't detect any webcam.

I suspect something is wrong with its hardware (which, I assume, cannot be fixed or at a very high cost?), which may be related to the USB problem?

HP Recommended

Hello JimVT.

I am pretty sure that the webcam connects using a USB-type connection inside the notebook.  So, if there is a problem with the webcam it could be the device which is constantly connecting and disconnecting.

Take a look at this thread and try the suggestions to resolve your webcam issue.

Have a lovely day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

Okay I did the next:

- In Device manager, under 'Management of sound, video and games' (freely translated), I unstalled the Cyberlink Youcam thingy.

- Rebooted computer, he did nothing (not trying to detect the webcam)

- Looked for the driver (Cyberlink Youcam software: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=nl&cc=be&dlc=nl&sw_lang=&product=5064...

- Installed it, but it simply reinstalled the software. Still gives error that it cannot detect webcam

I still see the 'Unknown device' under the USB controllers section.

What now?

HP Recommended

Hello again JimVT.

The next step I'd like you to do is provide me with the Hardware IDs for that device.  This will allow me to verify that it is the webcam and locate any appropriate drivers. Here are the steps.

1. Go to your Device Manager.
  2. Right click on the "Unknown Device."
  3. Select "Properties."
  4. Navigate to the "Details" tab.
  5. Select "Hardware IDs" from the drop-down menu.
  6. Post these here.

If you have any other Unknown/Other Devices I'd like you to repeat the process for each.

Have a great afternoon.  🙂

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

HP Recommended

The unknown device doesn't seem to be in the list all the times. I had to wait 'till now to spot it.

When I look for Hardware IDs it just says: USB\UNKNOWN. Supplier is Microsoft.

While I'm looking into this, the unknown device disappeared again.

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

@JimVT wrote:

Thank you for the update.  This will help other users locate a solution to similar issues, because you've marked the post and included a solution.  Pay the forums a visit in the future if you have more questions.  The community can be a great resource.

Have a great weekend!

HP Recommended

I had the same problem on the G60-645NR Notebook and here is what I did to finally fix the problem.

In Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, there were eight entries of Intel(R) Family USB Universal Host Controllers and eight entries of USB Root Hub. Only When I disabled the 6th and 7th USB Root Hub, did the annoying notification sound and pop-up stop.

Because I moved and reconnected the power cord more than once, I may have discharged static electricity which could have solved the problem.  All worked fine when I enabled the 6th and 7th USB Root Hub. This may be according to

what I found out about static electricity concerning this problem on the Internet:

Shut down laptop, remove AC power cord, and remove the battery . Press and hold the laptop power button for 30 seconds. Reason: electrostatics; static electricity between user's body and wired mouse; battery keeps the negative charge (electrons) in usb controller which kills data signals.

Reinstall the battery, reconnect the AC power cord, restart laptop, reconnect and try USB mouse.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.