Question

Student
justawatcher
Message 1 of 16 (9,889 Views)

dm4 - 1165dx notebook hinge breaking apart?

Pavilion dm4- 1165dx notebook 

Windows 7

1.5 years of usage

No history of hardware changes

Today I noticed, that when I was closing my Pavilion dm4- 1165dx notebook it started making creeky sounds near one of the hinges. So I investigated and looked in the back and noticed small little specs of black pieces were on table along with a loose silver cover hinge (this part was still attached just loose). What did I do? What should I do? How is the computer breaking down already when it's a little over a year old since I purchased it? Thanks for your help and time.

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 16 (9,878 Views)

Re: dm4 - 1165dx notebook hinge breaking apart?

Sometimes hinges seize up in which case they start destroying everything around them. Stop opening and closing the laptop, get a replacement hinge. You might as well replace them both:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-New-HP-Pavilion-DM4-DM4-1000-DM4-2000-Series-LCD-Screen-Hinges-Set-L-R-/...

The repair is not too hard. Post back if you want the Manual and any more advice.

Honor Student
Neil-NY
Message 3 of 16 (9,827 Views)

I had the same thing happen to me. I let it go for several months. From creeking and sounding weird, it progressed to have the screen freeze up and fill with lines that could be fixed by opening and closing the screen a little bit. Then near enough the second anniversary of buying the laptop, one of the hinges broke free from the plastic housing and screen. The rough plastic edges cracked the screen and I lost the picture. To replace it at that point would be more expensive than getting a quicker, faster machine.

I don't know if its a common problem, but its an expensive pain. I would listen to the other post and replace the hinges and plastic covers while you still have time to save the machine.

Top Student
Tulipa
Message 4 of 16 (9,806 Views)

Same problem. looks common. how to avoid it?
http://www.themodernman.com/how_to_talk_to_women.html
Honor Student
Neil-NY
Message 5 of 16 (9,798 Views)

I'm not sure. I had to buy a new laptop. It was the screen plus the battery fading after 2 years. I would recommend new hinges and the plastic covers (just guessing). Maybe even the plastic covers themselves can be removed since it is the thing that is rubbing and compressing that caused most of the damage. Let me know if you find out what works, if its a cheap fix, maybe I can get mine up and running.

Student
Sean5789
Message 6 of 16 (9,694 Views)

Could you please provide me with the manual or more information as to how to replace the hinge? Thanks

Honor Student
Neil-NY
Message 7 of 16 (9,684 Views)

Student
sevprop6294
Message 8 of 16 (8,745 Views)

the plastic covers that hold the screen to the keyboard are cracked....I need to replace, as some wires are exposed.

Student
LarryGuy
Message 9 of 16 (8,205 Views)

Just joined the club.  The right hinge is disintegrating on my laptop.  Ordered replacement hinges from OutletPC.com.  Hope installation isn't a nightmare.  HP really should offer free repairs for its shoddy design. 

Top Student
isaaclean
Message 10 of 16 (7,323 Views)

There is a whole topic on this already. Join the club, because you've unfortunately bought a flawed product. Read the other topic here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-e-g-Windows-8/HP-Dm4-1065dx-left-hinge-broken/m-p/230...

Please post pictures if you can and inform HP! It's unfair that we have to deal with their mistakes while they just turn away from us with our money...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation