Question

Honor Student
diabloangelz
Message 1 of 57 (492 Views)

dv7 Left hinge pulling case apart? What the heck!

I have a dv7 that is very rarely used (I think I purchased it in 2012).  I noticed recently that my hinges are making a lot of noise/struggling.

Tonight I realized that the left hinge is completely busted and pulling the casing apart.  The laptop is clearly out of warranty, so I'm guessing I have no recourse.  I came upon another thread on this forum where HP was fixing the problem on other dv7's, but I'm not sure if those people were still in warranty or not.

Any help or advice?

Thanks!

Retired
Advance23
Message 2 of 57 (467 Views)

Re: dv7 Left hinge pulling case apart? What the heck!

Hi diabloangelz, and welcome to the HP Support Forums!  :smileyhappy:

I worked on behalf of HP.
Honor Student
RNElliott
Message 3 of 57 (458 Views)

I'm having the exact same problem with mine! Same model, Envy DV7-7227CL. I've seen a lot of the forum posts about Envys in general having this issue. I've only had mine for 14 months, and it's been a stationary laptop to replace my desktop (also an HP). It's really upsetting that all you have to do is open and close the screen regularly for this to happen.

Mine hasn't broken away yet, but once I realized the case was starting to pull apart, I applied some eletricians tape to the area and stopped adjusting or moving the screen. Has HP offered you any solutions on repairs out of warranty? I'm pretty pissed that I'll have to spend money to fix what is obviously a manufacturer's defect, but I need my laptop to be able to open and close.

Honor Student
diabloangelz
Message 4 of 57 (455 Views)

I'm in the beginning stages of discussing this with them.  This may very well be the last HP laptop I buy.  This is my third, the first one lasting me 6 years until I sold it and the second one lasting me 6+ years (I still have it).  I'm not entirely sure what happened to their build quality, but it sucks.  I can't believe this laptop basically broke itself with very light use.

Maybe one of HP's people will reach out to you.  Good luck!  :smileyhappy:

Retired
Advance23
Message 5 of 57 (449 Views)

Hi RNElliott,

I just sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your forum messages, this post How to check your messages by SiobhanF has instructions.

Regards,

Honor Student
parky91
Message 6 of 57 (426 Views)

I've had this start to happen to mine too !
I got mine in 2012 (although it was just under a year old, bought as an ex display model) And has mostly been used as a portable desktop.

The other day the hinge almost jumped out and it has broken the plastic away from the bottom.

I'm clearly out of warranty and think I'm about to be out of pocket too :smileysad:.

I agree about the build quality thing, my last HP I bought in 2008 and is still absolutely solid.

Retired
Advance23
Message 7 of 57 (412 Views)

Hi parky91,

I just sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your forum messages, this post How to check your messages by SiobhanF has instructions.

Regards,

Honor Student
parky91
Message 8 of 57 (407 Views)

Thank you.

Intern
xanadu_poppy
Message 9 of 57 (400 Views)

Good luck I have same pc and it cost me around 170 bucksbut the good news is they replace the outer cover of the screen and both hinges

Honor Student
RNElliott
Message 10 of 57 (375 Views)

Honestly, I have to say I am extremely impressed with HP's response to my post. I don't know if they made an exception or if I made a mistake as far as my warranty, but they took care of the whole thing, no cost on my part. They sent me a message, got all my details, then the next day a box showed up for me to send it back. I just got my laptop back a couple days ago and they replaced the bottom case and the keyboard--it works so much smoother.

I hope the rest of you get this kind of service--seriously, I was in awe. Never buying anything but HP again. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation