Question

Student
bro2
Message 1 of 7 (3,297 Views)
Accepted Solution

hard drive filling up by itself

I just bought a a6750f hp with 750 gigs hard drive 8 gigs memory,quad processor runs great but it slowly filling up with stuff 2-3 gigs a day, I think it is getting it online, hp techs took control and just deleted temp files,That didn't solve the problem.. I restored to factory settings and now 3 weeks later there is 120 gigs used up.. I don't have anything exept a printer on this computer where is all that stuff coming from?  Please HELP........
Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 7 (3,274 Views)

Re: hard drive filling up by itself

Probably System Restore, which in Vista is set to use a very high % of hdd space.Most power users limit this manually.

Guide HERE 

And HERE

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Provost
CherylG
Message 3 of 7 (3,272 Views)

To check this as the culprit, right click your C:, choose Properties, then the "Disk Cleanup' button.After it scans (takes a minute or so), choose "More Options" tab. Under 'System Restore & Shadow Copies' click the "Clean up" button. 'OK' out and after a few minutes you should have most of your hdd space back.

You can of course just use this procedure every few weeks rather than the above tweaks if preferred.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Master's Graduate
samschilling
Message 4 of 7 (3,282 Views)

You can also go into the system restore properties and adjust the number of restore points it creates and how often.
Provost
CherylG
Message 5 of 7 (3,218 Views)

samschilling wrote:
You can also go into the system restore properties and adjust the number of restore points it creates and how often.

I have never found a way to do that other than editing the Registry.Care to share your procedure?

Student
glaw_07
Message 6 of 7 (3,108 Views)

I have a Hp pavilion dv2000 like a few of you as well and has not been turning on properly of late. After talking to a tech at a local computer store, this is a common problem for these computer. Apparently the power supply was placed to close to other important items so constant usage not only overheats the items but often frys them. He says the most common thing to fry is the wireless card, and once it is damaged you have about 3 weeks before a very fancy paper weight. He mentioned that hp recognizes this as their defect and has given an extended warrenty on certain products. i have not found any proof of what he says yet so all of his words are simply hear-say to this point. however before i left he showed me how to reset my computer to get it to turn on even if messing up. unplug the computer and take out the battery. then hold down the power button for 30 second. then (without putting the battery back in) reconnect the power cord and turn it on. this is not a perminent fix but has worked to turn the computer on for last few days for me. once on feel free to put the battery back in and use as see fit.
Master's Graduate
samschilling
Message 7 of 7 (3,081 Views)

glaw_07 wrote:
I have a Hp pavilion dv2000 like a few of you as well and has not been turning on properly of late. After talking to a tech at a local computer store, this is a common problem for these computer. Apparently the power supply was placed to close to other important items so constant usage not only overheats the items but often frys them. He says the most common thing to fry is the wireless card, and once it is damaged you have about 3 weeks before a very fancy paper weight. He mentioned that hp recognizes this as their defect and has given an extended warrenty on certain products. i have not found any proof of what he says yet so all of his words are simply hear-say to this point. however before i left he showed me how to reset my computer to get it to turn on even if messing up. unplug the computer and take out the battery. then hold down the power button for 30 second. then (without putting the battery back in) reconnect the power cord and turn it on. this is not a perminent fix but has worked to turn the computer on for last few days for me. once on feel free to put the battery back in and use as see fit.

Thank you for providing us with basic technical knowledge that doesn't relate to the issue at hand in a thread that has been solved

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation