Question

Student
GreshamGreg
Message 1 of 3 (7,509 Views)

how to upgrade dv7-1285dx video card and recomendations?

I have a pavillion dv7-1285 dx and want to upgrade it to some thing much faster. It currently has the nvidia 9600 gt with 512mb.

Do I need any pci express video card or are there certain ones that will only fit due to power limitations, size, etc. Thanks in advance. Greg

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 3 (7,496 Views)

Re: how to upgrade dv7-1285dx video card and recomendations?

Laptop Video upgrade is virtuall an imposibility for this and past generations of laptops. When you buy a laptop you are stuck with what you bought in terms of video adapters. The only upgrades that are possible are CPU / memory and whatever will plug into whatever slot (if any) you laptop has. That is the way it is. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Your  nvidia 9600 gt with 512mb is built into a chip on your motherboard.  If you ever do open it up look for the Nvidia chip. That will be your onboard graphics.

****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
Joshyboy82
Message 3 of 3 (7,090 Views)

Re: how to upgrade dv7-1285dx video card and recomendations?

I have a DV7-2185dx which was bought through retailer Best Buy. While I love it, I wonder if its possible to send to best buy for a Processor upgrade. I downloaded the HP repair manual from their website and after seeing how complicated it is to get to the Processor, I'd rather have someone else more qualified do it for me. I have Q9000. I researched and found that the QX9300 is compatible with my motherboard. Can I send my DV7 to HP and have them install the processor for me? Maybe throw a second HDD in my open bay? I also saw that there is a Blu-ray drive available, and while I understand that I don't have a true HD 1080p screen, my external HD television that I connect to does. Can I get these things changed by HP? I would put my already great Laptop- over the top.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation