Compaq CQ61 won't boot, 2 led blinks. (11033 Views)
Honor Student
JordanT92
Message 1 of 4 (11,033 Views)

Compaq CQ61 won't boot, 2 led blinks.

Product Name and Number

Compaq Presario CQ61-310SA

Operating System installed (if applicable)

None

Error message (if any)

LED flashes twice before pausing and repeating. Indicates BIOS corruption.

Any changes made to your system before the issue occured

Been inactive for 10 months due to having no power cable, I purchased a 3rd party power cable for it today.

Problem

Hello, as I stated above, my laptop has been inactive for 10 months and only today I decided to finally get a charger for it, which set me back £5.99, clearly a low quality charger but I was unsure if the laptop even worked anymore and didn't want to splash out on a manufacturer charger. When the AC adapter is plugged in, the LED indicator next to the charger port lights up, but with the battery installed the charge LED inbetween the Power and HDD LED's flashes 4 times, on the 4th flash it holds for about a second then discontinues the blinks. When powered up the backlight and LCD do not turn on and the CAPS LOCK and NUM LOCK LED's flash twice before pausing and repeating and the WiFi light glows orange. I can hear the HDD and fan spinning but the BIOS isn't initiated. I understand this error code refers to BIOS corruption and have attempted a hard reset, holding the power for 15 seconds as stated on some websites, then 30 as stated on others, and finally 60 seconds, as well as replacing the BIOS battery, HDD and memory modules to no avail... It doesn't seem as if the battery is charging at all, but it is completely empty so I'll leave it for a while to see if it does charge.

Is this anything to do with the fact I bought a cheap chinese charger? Or would I have to replace the motherboard?

AC Adapter

Name: WeiXin Da Electronics AC Adapter - PA-1700-02

Input: 100-240v ~ 1.8A

Ouput: 18.5V ~ 3.5A

Many thanks, Jordan.

Master's Graduate
Jolly_Rogers
Message 2 of 4 (11,007 Views)

Re: Compaq CQ61 won't boot, 2 led blinks.

From the symptoms listed above, I would recommend you go through the following documents and then check if you can isolate the cause of the issue and also check if this helps to resolve the issue:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01732674&lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01443371&cc=uk&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_UK...

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
JordanT92
Message 3 of 4 (11,006 Views)

Thank you for replying, I have already read both articles which suggest my notebook has BIOS Corruption, and as I can't get to Windows, I can't run the BIOS update software... I have tried both removing and replacing the CMOS battery, but no luck...

Top Student
pril
Message 4 of 4 (1,787 Views)

Same problem here bro could be the ati gpu .... hook the laptop up to an eternal monitor. pres fn+f4 key to check if any display ..... I got same problem no display .. bs corruption ... hp help us
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation