Question

Honor Student
kenitobeni
Message 1 of 5 (2,190 Views)

Compaq Presario CQ40-310AU problem

[ Edited ]

I have my Compaq Presario CQ40-310AU,

This happened earlier when I was using my laptop. I changed the setting of my graphics settings(using ATI catalyst control) after changing the settings, I shut it down. When I turned it on, the screen doesn't show anything, the power LED is on while the lightning and hard drive LEDs are off. After a couple of seconds, my num lock and caps lock LEDs started to blink. It blink four times. Based on the support at HP site, four blinks corresponds to a graphics controller malfunction. I'm not sure wether this is a graphics controller malfunction or a hard drive failure. Can someone assist me please? I really need to fix my unit ASAP! Thanks!

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 5 (2,185 Views)

Re: Compaq Presario C140-310AU problem

HI,

kenitobeni wrote:

I have my Compaq Presario CQ40-310AU,

This happened earlier when I was using my laptop. I changed the setting of my graphics settings(using ATI catalyst control) after changing the settings, I shut it down. When I turned it on, the screen doesn't show anything, the power LED is on while the lightning and hard drive LEDs are off. After a couple of seconds, my num lock and caps lock LEDs started to blink. It blink four times. Based on the support at HP site, four blinks corresponds to a graphics controller malfunction. I'm not sure wether this is a graphics controller malfunction or a hard drive failure. Can someone assist me please? I really need to fix my unit ASAP! Thanks!

Try a hard reset:

Remove the battery and unplug the DC power adapter.
press and hold the power button for more than fifteen seconds.
plug in the DC power adapter (leave the battery out for now)
press the power button

If your notebook starts, you can put the battery back in while the dc power adapter is attached.

Best regards,
erico

****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
kenitobeni
Message 3 of 5 (2,184 Views)

Thanks for this solution, but it didn't solve the problem. Screen's still dead and the hard drive LED doesn't turn on... My unit's not under warranty anymore... :smileysad:

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 5 (2,182 Views)

HI,

Is that a CQ60 or CQ40 series? 

It really helps when you identify your notebook completely. Post everything on the sticker but the serial number.

c01931836.gif

You will need to remove the RC battery to clear the CMOS settings. The reason is that it essentially resets the notebook.

Best regards,
erico

****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
kenitobeni
Message 5 of 5 (2,179 Views)

Re: Compaq Presario CQ40-310AU problem

Sorry my bad... typo, here's the details:

Compaq Presario CQ40-310AU

do I need to incude the s/n and p/n? sorry sir.

Can you teach me how to remove the RC battery? It's location and the precautions in removing it. I'll be waiting for your response. Thank you so much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation