Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

OK, after spending the last hour on the phone with tech support. Here is what we did that fixed the problem.

1) Updated the driver from HP. (I had already done this, but we did it again.)

2) Updated the BIOS from F.07 to F.17 using the download on HP's website.

After doing this, a message box popped up saying that the keyboard and pointing device errors had been resolved. After a restart, everything was working as usual again.

HP Recommended

are you legitimately serious. we're  not stupid.

its locked. therefore we CANT just tap it and unlock it.

woww read the question before you comment with stupid a** answers.

HP Recommended

my touchpad locks too. i push the lock symbol key on the top row right next to the wireless button. that unlocks the pc. click back on user and the page or work will pop up. i dont want it to lock in the first place any sugestions?

HP Recommended

Yes it worked. Double tap on the red light.

HP Recommended

Hi, I've just bought a G62 and had the same problem. After reading on here it's now all fixed.

I had to update the touchpad driver in control panel, devices, mouse and pointers etc., touchpad.

After that I had to update the Bios (I was f.07 and now am on f.17 as above. Once I'd done that the lock worked as it should.

See here for updating your bios. http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00007682

Tips:

- when restarting i think its f2 to emter set up and the next screen has a few options, i believe it was the top one (called system info i think) that will show current bios version.

- You need to know your full laptop model number and operating system (32 or 64 bit). You may find these via start button, programs, accessories, system tools, system info else underneath the battery for full model number - I still had my box and it was on there. Mine is a G62-105SA  and that's the number that got my bios update via the link above.

- when updating it brings up a box that does it all automatically, just make sure you follow the instructions about other programs running and power etc.

HP Recommended

wow, Im glad Im not the only onewith this problem

a double tap on the red light just worked fer me:smileyhappy:

just downloaded as recommended and no probs yet in the last couple of minutes

fingers crossed

HP Recommended

Thanks to you and others who provided similar responses.

There is no button or red light on my computer.  There is a little dot on the upper left of the touchpad.  Whenn the cursor stops, I have noticed that the dot glows orange.  But no explanation anywhere!  The hp site is useless.

Here, I found the answer.  What I had tried - clicking on the light.  Pressing the light, even hard.  Escape.  Control click on light.  None of that helped.  What I didn't try till now - a double click on the light - seems to work like a charm.  I no longer will have to restart my computer several times per session.  Sounds stupid, but I just didn't think of the double click. 

HP Recommended

Thanks, this method worked for me.

Regards

HP Recommended

the double tap worked for me and such an easy solution.  thanks

HP Recommended

hey im using g62 and i want to lock my touchpad,there is a circle on top left corner of touchpad but i am not able to lock the touch pad by clicking on it,please tell me if there is any other way to do the same

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.