Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I run win7 and various different linuxes on my dm1-4033ef, windows runs fine, but each and every linux has frozen at some point without leaving any clues in the logfiles as to why it should freeze.

Anyone else have this problem?

Anyone have any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I purchased a DM1-4160CA 2 months ago and i am dual booting linux and win7 with linux my primary os. I have been experiencing random total lockups in linux ..windows works fine. After 2 months of researching this problem and trying to find a solution i was about ready to get rid of this notebook. I chatted with hp tech support and a chap named Ashit said that he could only help me if i was using the pc as originally configured. i finally found a post on an archlinux forum with a solution. It will probably apply to any DM1 4XXX. You have to disable a thermal module... i will paste it here:

For anyone else with this problem, for info, I'm using grub, and the simplest way I found to disable the thermal module was to edit /etc/default/grub.
This had a line something like:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

To disable the thermal module, I changed this to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash thermal.off=1"

Having edited this file, you then need to run

update-grub

to activate the change.

AND ALSO.....

On every boot, I would get an error in kernel.log:
SP5100 TCO timer: mmio address 0xb80430 already in use
Blacklisting sp5100_tco seems to have fixed the issue. I think. I also disabled the thermal module, given that I already have two temperature readings. It also seemed to be messing with the fan control, but I can't say I fully understand much of this. So I'm not 100% sure which of the two changes fixed it, but I'd put money on the sp5100 thing.

View solution in original post

42 REPLIES 42
HP Recommended

Hello,
I have the same problem with my new HP Netbook DM1-4055EG. At the moment I use Ubuntu 12.04 (32 bit version). Hardware: AMD Dual-Core E-450 (Vison E2) with 2x 1,65 GHz / 4 GB RAM / 500 GB HDD / 11,6" 29,6 cm Brightview LED-Display 1366x768 / AMD Radeon HD6310M onboard graphic.

But it also randomly freezes under suse linux and all older ubuntu releases (32/64 bit). Do you have any hints?

Bye, Marcus

HP Recommended

Hello,

there is number of reports that touchpad and keyboard freezes on DM1 (AMD E-450).

Check this thread for example:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Hardware-Upgrades-Replacements/excess-heating-and-stopping-work-of-keyb...

Can you confirm it is the same in your case and only touchpad and keyboard freezes?

HP Recommended

Never seen a touchpad+keyboard freeze. The freezes I get tend to be total freezes, sometimes the computer will still respond to SysRQ key combinations, but that is fairly rare.

I have recently installed the studio version of Ubuntu 12.04 and I haven't installed the fglrx driver, I am sticking with the open-source driver. I haven't yet used it enough to see if it is really stable.

HP Recommended

Hello, the same with my device. total freeze - not only touchpad or keyboard. it only happens under linux - with windows 7 no problems.

with 12.04 ubuntu it is not so problematical than under 11.10 oneiric - but it is not acceptable.

Marcus

HP Recommended
Same here with a HP Pavilion DM1-4125sa (same cpu/graphics). Ubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu 12.10, Debian Wheezy all freeze solid at random times. Sometimes I can go days (bliss) other days I get the freeze several times in a few minutes. Does not appear to matter if open source or proprietary drivers are used for graphics and wifi.

HP please say something! This is driving me crazy. If I could have taken the device back to the supplier and bought something else I would have done so. At this rate this may well be the last AMD/HP device I ever buy.
HP Recommended

Have given up. Bought myself a lenovo x200 second-hand.

Much more powerful than a puny E-450.

Verry pleased. It was cheaper as well.

HP Recommended

I'm pleased you found a work around but marking the thread as solved does not help eveyone else.  Please can you remove the solved status?

HP Recommended

This is my first HP purchase and it has been nothing but heart-ache and frustration.

I've tried literally every FGLRX driver that I could, to no avail. Every operating system and every GUI, this computer just keeps freezing. I thought at first it was when I tried watching videos in HD (720p, 1080p doesn't work) or playing video games from the Humble Indie Bundle... however, it crashed when trying to write a paper for school on a simple word-processor with the wifi turned off!

I know Linux users are a very small market, but it *SHIPS* with a version of HP OS (obviously Linux), why can't they release the drivers that make this a functioning computer? 😞

HP Recommended

Unfortunately the DM1-4000SD netbook als crashes frequently.

Maybe it's because of an undocumented chipset error the Windows drivers can work around? Anyway, don't buy a DM1 Pavilion if you'r planning to run Linux. Windows runs fine though.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.