Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I purchased a DM1-4160CA 2 months ago and i am dual booting linux and win7 with linux my primary os. I have been experiencing random total lockups in linux ..windows works fine. After 2 months of researching this problem and trying to find a solution i was about ready to get rid of this notebook. I chatted with hp tech support and a chap named Ashit said that he could only help me if i was using the pc as originally configured. i finally found a post on an archlinux forum with a solution. It will probably apply to any DM1 4XXX. You have to disable a thermal module... i will paste it here:

For anyone else with this problem, for info, I'm using grub, and the simplest way I found to disable the thermal module was to edit /etc/default/grub.
This had a line something like:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

To disable the thermal module, I changed this to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash thermal.off=1"

Having edited this file, you then need to run

update-grub

to activate the change.

AND ALSO.....

On every boot, I would get an error in kernel.log:
SP5100 TCO timer: mmio address 0xb80430 already in use
Blacklisting sp5100_tco seems to have fixed the issue. I think. I also disabled the thermal module, given that I already have two temperature readings. It also seemed to be messing with the fan control, but I can't say I fully understand much of this. So I'm not 100% sure which of the two changes fixed it, but I'd put money on the sp5100 thing.

HP Recommended

I purchased a DM1-4160CA 2 months ago and i am dual booting linux and win7 with linux my primary os. I have been experiencing random total lockups in linux ..windows works fine. After 2 months of researching this problem and trying to find a solution i was about ready to get rid of this notebook. I chatted with hp tech support and a chap named Ashit said that he could only help me if i was using the pc as originally configured. i finally found a post on an archlinux forum with a solution. It will probably apply to any DM1 4XXX. You have to disable a thermal module... i will paste it here:

For anyone else with this problem, for info, I'm using grub, and the simplest way I found to disable the thermal module was to edit /etc/default/grub.
This had a line something like:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

To disable the thermal module, I changed this to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash thermal.off=1"

Having edited this file, you then need to run

update-grub

to activate the change.

AND ALSO.....

On every boot, I would get an error in kernel.log:
SP5100 TCO timer: mmio address 0xb80430 already in use
Blacklisting sp5100_tco seems to have fixed the issue. I think. I also disabled the thermal module, given that I already have two temperature readings. It also seemed to be messing with the fan control, but I can't say I fully understand much of this. So I'm not 100% sure which of the two changes fixed it, but I'd put money on the sp5100 thing.

Needless to say ..HP has a lot of angry customers who use linux and they are providing no support.

HP Recommended
I had noticed the sp5100 issue but blacklisting the module didn't help at all with the freezing. I didn't know about the thermal module though.

As far as I can tell from my research it seems the majority of users of hp dm1-4xxx series don't have this problem. See how short this thread is for the time it has been around. So it is probably a marginal issue difficult to debug.

Given that I got rid of my dm1-4xxx I would like confirmation from someone else that this works before I accept the solution.
HP Recommended

Yes, keep us updated if this is a confirmed fix and possibly what the consequences of if may be.

I will try to muk around with it also, although I'll have to research how to blacklist a driver and what functionality that may impair.

I assume most people gave up and went back to windows 7, but it's so bloated that it's almost useless (not to mention the tiny battery life compared to what you get with xfce). 

HP Recommended

Hi, i should have mentioned that i tried disabling the thermal module first and that seemed to do the trick. its only been 4 days now but i have been using it a lot and it never went much more than a day before without a lockup. I also made sure that in the bios the option to have the fan run all the time is on so there is no danger of overheating.  I did notice on several occasions when the lockups occurred, the fan sped up at the same time.  Hope this helps

HP Recommended

I'm noticing the same issue with my Hp Dm1-4010us.  Using acpi -V to view thermal info, the system runs fine until it hits the first temp trip point (ok -> passive)  -- then the keyboard and touchpad freeze.  You can still use an external keyboard and mouse.  In fact, everything else seems to keep running perfectly.

The acpi -V returns the following:

Is good now:

Thermal 0: ok, 59.0 degrees C

Thermal 0: trip point 0 switches to mode hot at temperature 100.0 degrees C

Thermal 0: trip point 1 switches to mode passive at temperature 64.0 degrees C

Until here, now keyboard and touchpad are frozen:

Thermal 0: passive, 64.0 degrees C

Thermal 0: trip point 0 switches to mode hot at temperature 100.0 degrees C

Thermal 0: trip point 1 switches to mode passive at temperature 64.0 degrees C

At which point I can suspend the machine, let it cool down a little (just a couple seconds really) wake it back up and everything is fine until it hits 64 degrees again.

I haven't tested turning off thermal in the kernel yet -- I wanted to first play with the BIOS setting that forces the fan to run.  While I get the error in both cases, the system seems to run much cooler if the BIOS setting is *disabled* that is if the fan is not set to run all the time the system stays cooler.

Would be nice if we could keep the Linux thermal settings enabled and turn-off the BIOS fan setting -- that seems like it would produce the best results.

HP Recommended

I've been running my DM1 all day with thermal.off=1 added to the bootloader and have experienced no problems, so I'm glad (but ready to be disappointed at any moment).

Why would turning off the, "Fan always on" setting in BIOS cause the system to run cooler?

I'm willing to experiment with this, but it seems incredibly counter-intuitive as if you're trolling us.

HP Recommended

Note that I had the BIOS setting for the fan disabled but thermal was still enabled in the kernel.  So it was quieter and cooler, but as soon as it hit 64 degrees it would still lock up the keyboard/touchpad.

I'm not sure I know enough about the internals to be disabling the fan in the BIOS and turning off thermal in the kernel -- seems like it might cause the system to overheat pretty quickly.

I think if you disable thermal in kernel you need to keep the BIOS setting enabled.  I'm just wishing we could find a fix for the kernel since it seems to handle the fans and temperature control more intelligently.

HP Recommended

In the BIOS under system settings (i think) the option "FAN ALWAYS ON" should be <ENABLED>

This will ensure that the fan always runs.  It may not be necessary since the BIOS seems to control the fan if that option is disabled.  I did it as a precaution while i test this "fix".  I may try letting the BIOS control the fan later and monitor temps.

HP Recommended

I'm not an expert in the matter but I have looked into software fan control for a Lenovo x200 (lovely machine). It seems that software is never *meant* to control the fan even if that can be done. It is normally up to the BIOS to do so.

thermal.off=1 turns off acpi thermal zone support in the kernel. This thermal support might be compiled as a module or built into the kernel as is the case on Ubuntu 12.04. Here is a page of info on it. http://acpi.sourceforge.net/documentation/thermal.html

It seems to allow the os to participate in cooling decisions, but that might just mean choosing different cooling profiles. Whatever it is supposed to do I am guessing that is what bugs in most current linuxes on dm1-4xxx's and maybe other E-450 based machines. Disabling it is probably a good idea, provided that the BIOS does then do it's job correctly, as it seems to from what you lot have been saying.

Let's read that BIOS option more carefully. It doesn't say "Let software control the fan" nor anything like that. It says "Fan always on (Y/N)" and I think that means that the BIOS *always* controls the fan (unless overriden) but it might or might not be allowed to turn the fan off if the system is cool enough, and that ought to be without danger or HP wouldn't have put it there.

Of course there might be all sorts of strange side-effects, but let's first be clear about its intended meaning.

I think I remember reading somewhere about a way of enabling coolsense in linux through setting something in /sys. I never did try it but if it exists it might well be a better solution. Anyone care to search for that?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.