Question

Top Student
reventon_703
Message 1 of 9 (749 Views)

Heat - HP, please provide me with a proper explanation (HP ENVY 17-1090CA)

Dear HP:

Hello. 

I am sure you are well aware of this heating issue of your product but I would really like a proper response, no.  A proper explanation from you on how you can sell such poorly engineered product to your "valued" customers?

I own a Envy 17-1090ca (i7-720QM (1st Gen), 8GB RAM, 2x500GB HDD, ATI 5850) which I purchased in summer 2010.  This is a elegantly designed laptop with a respectful specification.  But the heat problem is getting really severe to a stage that I do not work I can work on this machine anymore.  This computer gets hotter and hotter every single day, when I work with video editing or photoshop. The machine will often shut down randomly (which causes my data loss) and when i turn it back on, it tells me that the computer has reached 90C and the BIOS has shutted down the computer in order to prevent hardware damage.  And this occur in 1-2 hour on a proper-ventilated wooden desk. (And yes, I cleaned the vents.)

This is absolutely unacceptable, HP.

This product you sold me, burned my left wrist numerous times as I am typing, it got so bad that I had to purchase a wireless keyboard just to protect myself from touching that 80C keyboard.  But other than that, I really don't know what I can do with this computer. I already brought an external cooler, but that only extended 1-2 hours of usage. I was originally planning to keep this laptop for at least 4 years, but looking at the heat right now, I am unsure if it would last till the end of this year without its hardware buring itself up. 

I contacted your customer support before while I still had my warranty, and they told me to update my BIOS to the latest version and cleaned out the vents.  Let me tell you, you have not released another BIOS upgrade and I had already upgraded to the latest one if there exist a newer version.  Also the vents is already cleaned, number of times.  Does this improve the situation? No.

I brought this laptop for $2100CAD, and this is the support I get?

How can you promote excellent customer support when you cannot even provide proper customer satisfaction?

My warranty is already out right now and since I know you would never give me a refund. Please provide me with a proper solution to this heat issue. I sincerely hope you would take your time and think in the perspective of your valued customer.

I await for your response.

Your valued customer,

reventon_703

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 9 (746 Views)

Re: Heat - HP, please provide me with a proper explanation (HP ENVY 17-1090CA)

Hi,

Well, I bought a laptop for $3,600 AUD and still get only 1 year warranty unless I wanted to pay more for it. Anyway, 2 HDD's make the machine hot, the ATI card makes the machine hotter and all videos/graphics works don't help.

Your machine is getting hotter, that may mean the air around and inside needs to be more circulated. These are few tips to make a laptop runs cooler, hope this help:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/keep-laptop-cool-172740363.html

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Intern
settle
Message 3 of 9 (730 Views)

Check if your graphics driver is working. If it isn‘t then your system runs the GPU at 100% constantly which generates a ton of heat. The GPU‘s location on the left side of the notebook also explains why it was your left wrist and not right.
Intern
settle
Message 4 of 9 (730 Views)

By th way, this is a customer to customer forum so if you want real results from HP you have to call them, and maybe even ask to scalte the issue and speak with a manager.
Intern
galafrone
Message 5 of 9 (724 Views)

Hello

I ve been thru that albeit with an older model. There is no point  keep using it until the issue is solved otherwise things could only go worst. The good news is that HP computer use to be robust.

If it get hot it's probably the fan that  needs a thorough cleaning, that is disassembling the computer using the Service and Maintenace Guide HP is the only OEM to provide to its customer it seems or bring it to repair.

Hope it helps 

##### A once disappointed user got finally over it , after 157 overheating shutdowns
##### DV8 1050es W7x64 HP I7 Q720 Let's believe computers are simple
Top Student
reventon_703
Message 6 of 9 (712 Views)

Thank you everyone for replying.

Unfortunately, I had already gone through all those things that was mentioned in that link. Like I said, I even brought an external cooler. It just does not help much.

In my opinion, it is the poor cooling design that is causing all these problems. I highly doubt that the dual HDD is contributing to the heat at all.  As the lower ride side is where secondary HDD is located, that part rarely warms up at all. Most of the heat is concentrated on the left hand side where the CPU and the GPU is located.  With just one fan, it is insufficient to cool off all the heat that the i7 and the GPU generate.

Also I am not the only one experiencing this problem here, there is a whole bunch of people who owns this laptop and has the exact same problem as me:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Gaming-Reply-Only/Envy-17-overheating-is-bothering-me/td-p/334...

One of which left his Envy laptop on his side when he fell asleep and woke up with a burn blister on left arm which now became a scar.  Some had their Envy's motherboard, heat sink, CPU, exterior case replaced and the situation only improved a bit. This is HP's fault and they are not dedicated into fixing it.  Everytime I contact HP, these are the only thing they tell me: 1) Upgrade the BIOS.  2) Perform a power drain.  3) Clean up the fans. Do I really need them to tell me that?  If those worked I would not be contacting them in the first place.  And does it work? NO.

Now my warranty is up, I don't even get service support anymore.

I still await for your reply HP, please give me a proper explanation regarding to this heat issue or give me a working solution to solve this.

Top Student
reventon_703
Message 7 of 9 (711 Views)

[ Edited ]

settle wrote:
By th way, this is a customer to customer forum so if you want real results from HP you have to call them, and maybe even ask to scalte the issue and speak with a manager.

If I can get a hold of their manager then sure. Do you have any suggestion on how I can do that?

Regards,
reventon_703

Intern
settle
Message 8 of 9 (705 Views)

Try calling the Resolution Team at 1-866-217-6014. They should be more responsive than the run around tech support seems to be giving you.
Intern
galafrone
Message 9 of 9 (683 Views)

It's not just about cleaning the vents, as I said, you have to disassemble the computer until you get the processor fan disassembled as well and clean it thoroughthly, or bring it to the repair service for that task.

Good luck 

##### A once disappointed user got finally over it , after 157 overheating shutdowns
##### DV8 1050es W7x64 HP I7 Q720 Let's believe computers are simple
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation