Question
How many HP Pavillion customers have the Black Screen Problem?
Replies (266)

Student
Davidmylove1
Message 251 of 267 (625 Views)

Re: How many HP Pavilion customers have the Black Screen Problem?

My HP Laptop Pavilon dv6 have a black screen priblem

Honor Student
hippi
Message 252 of 267 (553 Views)

Re: How many HP Pavillion customers have the Black Screen Problem?

I'm the latest. DV2415NR. Has anything come of this. I,ve noticed there seems to be alot of us.

Honor Student
csernica
Message 253 of 267 (523 Views)

[ Edited ]

Just happened yesterday on my wife's DV5z-1000.

There are no useful error codes -- the blink sequence on caps lock/num lock isn't even listed in the troubleshooting page. (10 medium-speed blinks followed by much slower blinking that never seems to stop.) There are no beeps, unless I try to get into the BIOS settings. Not that the screen comes on either way.

I tried all the usual. Connected an external monitor, which is how my wife usually uses it anyway. Nothing. Hard reset. Nothing. Hard reset, then power + ESC key. Nothing. Later tonight I'll try reseating the memory and making sure all the dust is blown out, but I'm not optimistic. Should I try the GPU reflow solution? Seems a lot of trouble -- and I'm not sure if that's a thing with ATI graphics anyway.

It's not as if this is a brand new machine, but it hasn't exactly seen heavy use. For the first couple of years she had it, my wife barely used it at all. Now it's her regular machine and she uses it daily, but so what? This is absurd. At work I use a Dell laptop -- a DELL for crying out loud -- and it's been working fine since 2007. How bad has it gotten when Dell is more reliable?

Honor Student
karisto
Message 254 of 267 (484 Views)

[ Edited ]
Me too. Pavilion dv7 ... the battery no longer keeps its charge and failed while not on mains power, after which I just get a black screen! Only two years old and the Packard Bell that it was supposed to replace is still working !!!
Honor Student
JCL99
Message 255 of 267 (359 Views)

Hey everyone!  Not the most tech savvy but I know enough to be dangerous.  Anyway, I have a DV7t-6c00 Pavilion Dv7for about a year and a half now.  Loved it but last week ran into a string of problems that led me to the black screen problem.  Here is my issues and work around which is good enough for me right now.  

A couple of weeks ago, I was not able to open Adobe premier elements which turned out to be that my AMD Radeon HD7690m graphics card needed to update the driver.  Went and did that and the program worked fine so I thought I was all set.  I also noticed improved movie playback clarity so I was happy.  

Well then a few days ago, I shut my laptop come home and find out it is on but screen is black/dark with nothing showing!  Figured it was something simple so searched for answers.  Came across this and other blogs talking about how it is likely a hardware issue.  I broke down today and called HP (still in my2 year warranty) and they told me I had to do a complete back up and factory install to basically start over.  That seemed nonsensical to me based on what I have been reading so I told him I will get back to him.  

Today I found Drivermax which is recommended by CNET and which will identify and find all the drivers on your PC that need to be updated.  Very simple to perform too and it is free if you have time to wait.  I did the $10 30 day period and updated a ton of drivers, including my Radeon card to an updated released just last month and not even on the HP site!

Anyway, after updating all of my drivers, restarting and then (here is the workaround) setting my power settings to HIBERNATE instead of Sleep when I shut the lid, is working for me.  The screen comes back on when I do this no problem.  I tried it on Sleep and for some reason, that is where the problem is.  It just does not wake up from sleep mode.  This is good enough for me for now but I will make sure to check in again with HP before my warranty ends because I am afraid now after reading everyone's stories of their PC dying from these issues.

The last observation, which is not a big deal for me right now but I know will be at some point, is that my vga display was working before I did the driver updates.  Now when I plug in a monitor display, I can't get anything through there.  I figure this is a slight problem but at least I can use the laptop screen which is 98% of the time for me.  Not a perfect solution but working at least.  Hope it helps because I always get so much help from the community out there that I wanted to do my part for once!  :smileyhappy:  Best, John

Honor Student
JCL99
Message 256 of 267 (358 Views)

Actually quick correction. The external display is working with another monitor now. Probably just connected it out of sequence. Anyway, that means the only downside to this issue is that I can't use sleep mode and have to use Hibernate. No biggie! Hope it helps.
Honor Student
csernica
Message 257 of 267 (354 Views)

JCL99, you're talking about an entirely different problem. In your case you were able to actually boot the machine; it's just that the display wasn't coming on. The problem here is that we're not even booting -- and that's on powerup, not waking up from sleep or hibernation. It's called a "black screen" problem in contrast to a "blue screen". It's not possible to update drivers in that situation.

Tutor
jack78
Message 258 of 267 (350 Views)

MY ONE TOO   dv 6-1242TX

anyone have solved their prolem?

im looking for help,i want to save my data,pics and other docs :smileysad: but stuck with black screen and only cursor on my desktop.

has hp helped anyone in anyway ? if so how can i know?

Honor Student
csernica
Message 259 of 267 (346 Views)

I ended up just buying a new machine. The HD was still good, so I bought a USB enclosure for it so we could copy the data off, and also have an external HD for backups.

Student
Rinsted
Message 260 of 267 (241 Views)

Packard Bell EasyNotes are notorious for this type of problem, which in older models is normally due to repeated overheating. How old is your laptop? If it is no longer in warranty, then your repair options can be quite costly. I had a Packard Bell SB86 which after 2 years use suddenly gave me the same problem. Check out this link: www.fixyourlaptopyourself.com. It explains how you can fix it yourself - unusual technique, but it worked for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation