Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Introduction

HP machines have built-in Bios testers for RAM and HDD's.

To use them you need to enter Bios by pressing F10 on startup. They are placed under ' Diagnostics menu '.

Why I wrote this guide and complicate whole situation?

There are three reasons:

• This testers are not so great and sometimes they do not detect problems which you may have with your hardware. It's recommended to use more advanced tester for RAM and manufacter diagnostic programs to test HDD's.
  • Not always you will be able to enter Bios. Sometimes corrupted hardware is blocking possibility to run it.
  • Advanced diagnostic softwares for hard drives allow to fix some problems.

Table of Contents:

A How to test RAM with Memtest86+.

B How to test HDD (Hard Drive).

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Ad. A

There are few possibilities to run this program. In this guide I will present how to run it from:

• CD

and

• USB Flash Drive.

First we need to burn Memtest86+ on a CD or prepare properly USB Flash drive with a special tool.

Here you will find Memtest86+ home page from which you will be able to download correct version of this software.

Solution 1. CD:

Download ' Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip) ' and extract it with 7-Zip(free) or WinRar.

Download CDBurnerXP from here. Install this program and run it.

Choose ' Browse ISO image '.

Capture_6.png

and point Memtest86+ iso file.

Capture_7.png

Click ' Burn disc '.

Capture_8.png

Wait until burning process will finish.

Capture_9.png

Choose ' OK '.

Capture_10.png

Exit from program.

Capture_11.png

Solution 2. USB Flash Drive:

Download ' Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7) ' and extract it with 7-Zip(free) or WinRar.

Connect USB Flash Drive to one of USB ports. Run ' Memtest86+ 4.10 USB Installer '.

Click ' I Agree '.

606i6E822AF0CBB62E87

Select USB Flash Drive and check box to format it.

Caution!

Format process will erase all information from USB Flash Drive. If you have there something important then please backup this data first.

607i29161A9BD61693B5

Choose ' Create '.

608i05A6142396343D9B

Wait until process will finish and click ' Next '.

609i945978711A5801D9

Exit from program by choosing ' Finish '.

610i1BC58B8B5DE6D8A1

How to run Memtest86+.

Leave USB Flash drive in USB port or CD in CD/DVD drive. Restart your system and on startup press F9 key repetitively:

709iDBE95130BCACC6E5

After this step you will be able to select from which device you want to boot. Choose from the list ' USB Hard Drive ' if you have prepared USB Flash Drive (like on below photo) or ' Optical Disk Drive ' if you have prepared CD:

710iB3BCBC2496F32111

Consumer.png 

How to use Memtest86+ to test RAM?

Do at least 2 - 3 passes. In Errors column may show up only 0. If it's other number then you need to replace corrupted RAM stick.

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

Ad. B

First you need to know which company manufactured your disk. It is very important, because this information will tell you which diagnostic software you should use. There are two ways to find brand name:

• by using special software in a Windows enviroment (Option 1)

or

•  by checking it manually (Option 2).

Option 1.

Download, install and run Speccy (free software). Wait until it finish analizing what kind of hardware you've got. It will give you information about manufacturer and model of your HDD (example below underlined with yellow line):

Speccy.jpg

Option 2.

Remove hard drive from your notebook and check which company manufactured it.

This information will be written on a sticker. Below you will find example (manufacturer's name is underlined with yellow line):

691iB257A6C9CDAA67DA

If you don't know how to remove hard drive then you may check service documentation for your specific model. How to find it?

1. Click on Support & Drivers link. (Upper part of this page.)

2. In search box type your product name (p/n).

Resource:

How to Locate the Notebook p/n

3. Choose ' Next '.

4. Select ' Manuals '.

5. Find on the list ' Maintenance and Service Guide ' and use Adobe Acrobat Reader (free software) to open it.

6. From the left panel double click first ' Removal and replacement procedures ' and then ' Component replacement procedures '

7. Find on the list ' Hard Drive '.

Now you know manufacturer name. Find it on the below list. This will give you knowledge which diagnostic software you should use:

• Fujitsu - check this link and use software from Diagnostic Tools section. 

Note:

Comprehensive Test is recommended.

• Hitachi - check this link. There are two diagnostic programs: Drive Fitness Test and OGT Diagnostic Tool

Drive Fitness Test is for all SCSI, IDE and SATA drives except for Ultrastar 10K300, Ultrastar 15K73 and DK32xx disk drives

which should be tested with OGT Diagnostic Tool. 

Note:

Advanced Test is recommended when you are using Drive Fitness Test.

Descriptions of Error Codes you will find in the documents to which links are given below (use Adobe Acrobat Reader (free

software) to read them):

Drive Fitness Test User's Guide - page 28

OGT Diagnostic Tool User's Guide - page 13

• Seagate - test your HDD with SeaTools

Note:

Long Test is recommended.

Descriptions of Error Codes you will find in the document to which link is given below:

SeaTools Error Codes

• Toshiba - there is no special diagnostic software for this brand. Use tester which is built-in Bios. There is no other solution.

Note:

Extended Test is recommended.

Descriptions of Error Codes you will find in the document to which link is given below:

Diagnostic Error Codes

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.