280ebenz
Message 1 of 95 (185,372 Views)
Accepted Solution

Laptop battery not charging but laptop works with power adaptor..whats wrong

My battery icon states power adaptor attached but not charging,  why

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 95 (185,358 Views)

Re: Laptop battery not charging but laptop works with power adaptor..whats wrong

Hi,

First of all, shutdown the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter, remove the battery, and then hold down the Power button for a full minute.

Now, plug in the AC Adapter without the battery inserted, start the notebook, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager, expand the entry for Batteries, right click on and the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery and select Uninstall - do not uninstall anything else here.  When the uninstall is complete, shut the PC down, unplug the AC Adapter, re-insert the battery and then start the PC on just the battery.  Windows will automatically reinstall the driver - leave Windows running for a few minutes. Shutdown the PC again.  Now plug in the AC Adapter ( with the battery still inserted ) and start the notebook to see if this has helped the issue at all.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
JeffO
Message 3 of 95 (185,350 Views)

Re: Laptop battery not charging but laptop works with power adaptor..whats wrong

I tried this but the laptop wont start with the ac adapter and no battery :smileysad:

Intern
280ebenz
Message 4 of 95 (185,339 Views)

Hey,

Many thanks for that,

I tried what you said and the battery Icon said battery was charging and the battery bar showed it was charging too, but after about a minute it stopped and i got the message  Power plugged in, not charging.  I repeated your instructions agai, but the same thing happened. Have I a duff battery!!!!!

Provost
DavidPK
Message 5 of 95 (185,330 Views)

Hi,

Download and run the stand-alone battery test utility available on the page below and see if this reports any problems with your battery.

http://h20239.www2.hp.com/techcenter/battery/battery_ts.htm

Regards,

DP-K

Intern
280ebenz
Message 6 of 95 (185,328 Views)

You are a genius,  I did what you said and yes ,  The battery has failed.  Will need to get a new one.  Many thanks for the advice

Provost
DavidPK
Message 7 of 95 (185,333 Views)

Hi,

You're welcome, glad it helped :smileyhappy:

All the best,

DP-K

Top Student
drewwilkin
Message 8 of 95 (183,436 Views)

My battery is showing 95%, not charging.  I downloaded HP Battery Check.  It shows OK (10).  Don't know what the 10 means, though.  Also it shows Charge Capacity: 63%.  I assume that says it's on the way out.  Can anyone estimate how much longer it has?  Would calibrating the battery help?  How do I do that?  Further details:

Cycle count: 384

Battery age: 1567 days

Serial Number: you really need that?

Temp: 31 C

Design Capacity" 5100 mAh

Full Charge Capacity: 3222 mAh

Remainting Capacity: 3051 mAh

Current: 0 mA

Terminal Voltage: 12329 mV

Design Voltage: 10800 mV

Cell Voltage 1: 0 mV

Cell Voltage 2: 4108 mV

Cell Voltage 3: 4107 mV

Cell Voltage 4: 4115 mV

Status 40E0

Intern
280ebenz
Message 9 of 95 (183,400 Views)

I believe you have the same problem I had, I never did a battery check until it was too late, Laptop batteries are same as rechargeable batteries for small items like toys cameras, ert.... they can only be recharged a certain number of times before they have to be replaced...  I guess you have about a couple of months usgae of the battery.. I could be wrong..  but to be safe get a replacement as soon as you can   Does your battery icon sat Plugged in   Not charging!!!!  If so then the battery is not taking on any charging.

Honor Student
mbeam71
Message 10 of 95 (181,699 Views)

I'm having the same problem, I'm thinking it's the computer and not the battery/AC adaptor.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation