Question

Student
colibri
Message 1 of 74 (162,548 Views)
Accepted Solution

My HP laptop's cooling fan isn't working.

Okay, so. I have an HP Pavilion g6-1145sg. It was working properly all morning, and then I put it to sleep temporarily (about ten to twenty minutes). When I went to turn it on, the screen was black and said something along the lines of

"the system has detected that a cooling fan is not operating correctly. Continued operation would not be recommended at this time... may cause unpredictable behaviour that could result in random shut down, data loss or possible system damage." 

Then after a few seconds it shuts off completely. There is an option to continue with system resume, and I clicked it once, but it didn't go all the way through to letting me use my laptop properly (I got to my desktop background and it shut down). 

This has never happened before, and I have never had any problems with my laptop such as this before. I have had it since last August, and it has worked somewhat alright through until today. Of course, the system lags occasionally, but nothing serious, mostly just aggravating. 

How can I fix this?

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 74 (162,513 Views)

Re: My HP laptop's cooling fan isn't working.

You need to get the fan replaced before you cause permanent heat damage. Stop using it until you get it fixed properly.

You can try and clean the fan, but this will not fix it if the fan motor is bad.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01657439

Top Student
sandalwood44
Message 3 of 74 (160,983 Views)

Mine is doing the same thing and isn't very old.  If it can't be repaired cheaply, I will NOT go with HP again.

Honor Student
RuebenMcPhee
Message 4 of 74 (160,507 Views)

the same thing is happening with me.i have and hp laptop.my laptop would just shut off while im using it.so i went on the net to find out what was wrong it said that i need to check my cooling fan .so i unscrewed the back of my laptop and the cooling fan was covered in dust i got out most of it with cutips and alchohol pads but still my cooling fan wont work.ittl come one for a few seconds then shut off why is this happening i was told that  my laptop would have system failure whaqt do i do

Honor Student
RuebenMcPhee
Message 5 of 74 (160,501 Views)

my cooling fan is now working again.but i jave one other problem my speakers arent working the computer thinks something is plugged but nothing is what do i do

Student
tammyb83
Message 6 of 74 (159,293 Views)

Re: My HP laptop's cooling fan isn't working correctly

My HP laptop's cooling fan isn't working correctly

Student
Message 7 of 74 (159,115 Views)

i put my hp laptop on and got message cooling fan is not working correctly press entry to continue and it kept going off

then i put the laptop back and recovery came on i dont no if it is a hard drive problem

Honor Student
Aoifeadorable
Message 8 of 74 (156,813 Views)

I have the exact same laptop and had the exact same problem. When it shuts down it means your laptop is too hot because the cooling fan cant help it because it is broken. My notebook PC was like this too but you need to clean the part at the side where it brings in air. Then I had to do this, take off the bottom part of your notebook and take all the dust out around the fan and, if there is, dust anywhere else then test it and it might work. But unlike mines, it might still not work, that means you probably need a new cooling fan 

Honor Student
Aoifeadorable
Message 9 of 74 (156,812 Views)

if it kept going off leave it for a while to cool down
Honor Student
Aoifeadorable
Message 10 of 74 (156,810 Views)

it might be because you need a new one or it might have done permanent damage
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation