Question

Tutor
MtnXfreeride
Message 1 of 5 (24,283 Views)
Accepted Solution

Num Lock and Caps Lock Blinking twice

[ Edited ]

Hi, I have a problem with a HP DV4-2045dx laptop which is now 5 days off warranty.

It has decided to no longer boot, and never displays anything on the screen.  When powered on, the power light, fan, and volume bar light up, and after ~10 seconds the num lock and caps lock light blink 2x and pause before repeating over again.

I have tried removing the HDD, reseating memory, network card. I have done the power off, remove battery and holding power button for 20 seconds with no change. I have also removed the CMOS battery for 30+ minutes.  I have left the laptop on overnight with no luck on it restoring the bios, I have also left it unplugged without a battery for several hours.

HPs site tells me the BIOS is corrupt based on the lights blinking.

So, how does one fix a corrupt bios when the laptop does not boot? Does this have to be sent in for repair, and if so does anyone have an estimate for this repair?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

**EDIT** I know the HDD is bad, the laptop stopped booting (it would only goto repair windows, and my HDD diagnostics tool failed it that day.  After a few other boot attempts it starting this blank screen booting)

Professor
Charles001
Message 2 of 5 (24,256 Views)

Re: Num Lock and Caps Lock Blinking twice

Probably BIOS corruption, see http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=96113&docname=c01732674

======================================================================================
* I am an HP employee. *

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
Tutor
MtnXfreeride
Message 3 of 5 (24,249 Views)

Fixed it finally in the weirdest way..  removed the memory and popped in an older 512MB stick.. booted up.  Shut it donw and put the 2x2GB sticks in and its running still.

Running memtest now to see if it was bad or not.  Otherwise.. its just waiting for recovery media in the mail.

Student
PaulMariani76
Message 4 of 5 (23,218 Views)

Re: dv6-1122us Num Lock and Caps Lock Blinking twice. How do I repair a corrupted BIOS?

[ Edited ]

Was given a dv6-1122us today. Laptop will not boot or POST, only black screen. I can hear cooling fans running, and HDD activity. I get a blink code of 2 blinks, indicating a corrupted BIOS. I have already re-seated RAM, checked connections on all cables inside laptop, etc. I attempted to load last known good copy of BIOS, by holding Window key and B while powering up, a "hard reset", and removing the battery for BIOS for several minutes.I also swapped out RAM modules with known good modules. No changes. Laptop has never booted , and despite suggestions on HP support site, laptop doesn't attempt to restart to recover BIOS.

How do I repair a corrupted BIOS ? Is there a possibility that another failing component could have caused this problem?

Honor Student
Ithal
Message 5 of 5 (21,093 Views)

Hai....

I have HP Pavilion DV5 1007AX ... LEDs blink 2 times with Blank Screen .. Indicates BIOS Corruption Failure...

I tried to update the BIOS with the same approach .. Downloaded Latest BIOS, Extracted it and renamed 3622F38.FD to 3600.BIN, 3622.BIN & 30F2F38.FD to 30F2.BIN and Flashed using USB flash Drive .. But no results !!! :smileysad:

Can anyone suggest a approach to solve this issue !! ... Is there any different Platform ID or MainBoard ID (3600, 3022, 30F2 ) for DV5 1007AX that we used for renaming BIOS file ???...

Please Help Me Out !!! ....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation