Question

Student
JH858
Message 1 of 3 (1,350 Views)

Pavilion dv7: Unexpected Shutdowns

[ Edited ]

Re: HP Pavilion dv7-1135nr

This system is owned by a friend who is like a sister to me so I've worked with it pro bono for her....

The problem described below began occuring a few months ago on an infrequent, intermittent basis. The frequency of the problem has increased over the past month. It happened repeatedly yesterday; not less than 10 times.

All device drivers (for both OSs) are current and the BIOS is current. I've also reflashed the BIOS. Run-In, Memory, and Hard Disk tests all reported no errors on multiple occasions.

The system shuts down for no apparent reason. It restarts itself and sometimes presents the Windows System Repair screen. Sometimes it progresses through the system repair and prompts with the restore option. It then shuts down during whatever is going on during the restore. But the majority of the time, it shuts down, goes through POST, and then hangs with the display on, a dimly backlit black screen, and a single white cursor (-) at the top left of the display.

Vista Home Premium was loaded at the factory. I thought the problem was related to Vista so I loaded Windows 7 Enterprise in multi-boot configuration. Observed the same problem in Windows 7. I set the BIOS to present the startup/boot screen for 30 seconds then held it there in order to prevent a Windows OS from loading. The system shutdown while at the startup/boot screen. Happened after about 1m35s 5 or 6 times in a row. I also booted it into Fedora Live and same result - system just shuts down.

I left the system on a table in my den while I watched the Little League World Series yesterday. When it unexpectedly shutdown, I left it alone - didn't touch it. A few minutes later, it powered up (I didn't touch it) and shutdown again. This happened 2x.

Common Event Log Entries

• Event ID 6008, Source: Event Log, Description: "The previous system shutdown at <time> on <date> was unexpected."
  • Event ID 37 (7), Source: Kernel-Processor-Power, Description: "The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 2 seconds since the last report.
  • Event ID 41 (63), Source: Kernel Power, Description: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. The error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

I've read another post (http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/How-many-HP-Pavillion-customers-have-the-Black-Sc...)  and much of what is described there is similar to what I'm seeing with this problem.

The HP warranty has expired but it is covered by a Geek Squad Extended Service Agreement. But she tells me that they want to charge her for diagnostics when she's taken it to Best Buy in the past.

Edited to add:

I disabled Automatic Restart on System Failure under Advanced System Settings.

Recommendations anyone?

Student
jpalaver
Message 2 of 3 (1,216 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv7: Unexpected Shutdowns

Hi!

I had a similar problem and I solved it moving the hard disk to 2nd place.

This model has space for 2 hard disks. Try moving hardisk to the 2nd place to avoid any problem with the sata connector.

Regards.

Jorge

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 3 of 3 (1,190 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv7: Unexpected Shutdowns

"The HP warranty has expired but it is covered by a Geek Squad Extended Service Agreement. But she tells me that they want to charge her for diagnostics when she's taken it to Best Buy in the past."

Take it back to best Buy and ask the Store Manager why you will be charged for something under an extended service agreement.

If they don't repair it, ask for the money she paid for the ESA to be refunded since they will not honor it.

Just don't take No for an answer, be polite.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation