Question

Top Student
cyclegirl
Message 1 of 48 (51,500 Views)

Press ESC Key for Startup Menu - ESC key doesn't work

I have noticed when I restart my computer or bring it out of hibernate the computer will show the HP logo and a message saying press ESC key for Startup menu.  I press the ESC key and nothing happens.  If I hold it, the computer beeps.  My work around for this is to turn off the computer and turn it on.  My laptop cold boots fine. 

I have a HP Pavilion DV6 running Windows 7, 64-bit.  Intel Core i3 processor. 

I have looked at  other posts regarding this topic but none of them mentioned if the computer could cold boot.  I inferred from some posts that the computer was not starting at all.   I only experience the problem after hibernating or restarting. 

Associate Professor
Sanchertx
Message 2 of 48 (51,495 Views)

Re: Press ESC Key for Startup Menu - ESC key doesn't work

Hi,

so what happens if you do not press the ESC key? Does the unit boot into WIndows?

the message is normal during a boot - hitting esc allows you to get to diagnostic functions.

I am an HP employee.

"Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button or mark the post that solved your problem as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!"
Top Student
cyclegirl
Message 3 of 48 (51,480 Views)

Hi, 

It does not continue to normal boot.  My computer sits on the HP screen with ESC key message. 

Honor Student
rstraus1
Message 4 of 48 (51,465 Views)

Mine is doing the exact same thing.  Have you figured anyting out?

Top Student
cyclegirl
Message 5 of 48 (51,463 Views)

No, not yet.

Honor Student
rstraus1
Message 6 of 48 (51,462 Views)

Mine locks on restart, but I can unplug battery and it will then boot up.  Is that what urs does?

Top Student
cyclegirl
Message 7 of 48 (51,433 Views)

On reboot, or wake up from hibernate.  I haven't tried anythign other than pushing the power button.  I don't remove the battery or anything.

Student
Kubor13
Message 8 of 48 (51,288 Views)

I have the same problem today on my HP h81010 desktop, which is just 6 weeks old. Booting stops at the screen that asks me to 'Press ESC key for startup menu', and nothing else happens. Pressing ESC key does nothing. Have also tried rebooting with my Win7 Repair Disk inserted and also with my Win7 Recovery disk, to no avail. It just goes to this same screen and stops. Can the HP employee who posted here before  please jump on this problem? Clearly it's not a one-off situation.

Top Student
janhook52
Message 9 of 48 (51,038 Views)

I have the same issue, however I was trying to do a restart because I knew I got infected. I ran malawarebytes, spybot, and mssecurity essentials.. the infections are shown..trojans,,,, but I am unable to get rid of them because I believe it is the infection that disabled my startup menu when trying to reboot.. I am also looking for a remedy to get a restart ... my next option is doing a factory restore.. which I hope to avoid... hope someone has an answer soon...

Top Student
Dan-hpuser
Message 10 of 48 (50,999 Views)

Do you have any USB devices connected to the computer?  If so, disconnect them and try again.  I have a some what similar issue with my new HP Elitebook where some USB devices will casue the computer to hang at the HP screen (with the ESC key for Startup menu).  HP has replaced the mother board, replaced the docking station and finally I started plugging and unplugging USB devices and found a couple that, if connected, the computer would not pass the HP screen.  I am going to post a seperate question about this also.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation