Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

During startup my computer gives the following notification:

The SMART Hard disk check has detected an imminent failure. To ensure not data loss, please backup the content immediately and run the Hard Disk Test in System Diagnostics.

I have run the test many times and it always comes out with no issues. This has slowed down my computer and even froze my computer a few times. What can I do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The drive on the link below is an example of one that would be fine for your notebook.

640Gb Hard Drive.

The replacement procedure is detailed, starting on Page 52 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Once done, use your Recovery DVDs to install the OS on the new HDD - these will also reinstall all the original software bundled with your notebook as well as re-creating the Recovery Partition on the drive.

If you need to order a replacement set of Recovery Discs, use the link below.

HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads

If you have any problem with this link, order them directly from HP.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

If you are receiving SMART errors, it's usually a good indication the drive will fail ( and would explain the problems your notebook is showing )  - either very soon or some point in the future.  I would definetely backup-up all your personal files etc as soon as you can.

The only solution is to replace the Hard Drive.  If oyu're still under warranty, contact HP to get this replaced.

If you're out of warranty, Hard Drives are not expensive and are easy to fit - if you require a guide on how to do this, please post back with the full Model No. or Part No. of your notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

HP G62 Notebook - Product #WJ544AV

Hard Drive - Toshiba MK6465GSXX

HP Recommended

Hi,

The drive on the link below is an example of one that would be fine for your notebook.

640Gb Hard Drive.

The replacement procedure is detailed, starting on Page 52 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Once done, use your Recovery DVDs to install the OS on the new HDD - these will also reinstall all the original software bundled with your notebook as well as re-creating the Recovery Partition on the drive.

If you need to order a replacement set of Recovery Discs, use the link below.

HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads

If you have any problem with this link, order them directly from HP.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I agree with HP engineering that the SMART hard disk check should default to "on".

However I have discovered an incompatibility between this test and my SSD, which is working just fine thank you very much.  And there is no way at all to turn the SMART check off.  That's the engineering decision with which I disagree.

It's fine to have the check and to turn it on by default.  It is NOT fine to provide users no way to turn off the test.  This switch belongs in the BIOS.  It's not there.

As it is I have a SDD which I cannot use with my CQ56-115DX and I'm not very happy about that.  Incidentally, my SSD passes all hard drive tests . . . . not that it matters at all to my point.

Arrogant engineering is not good engineering.  It is arrogant to assume, as an engineer, that you can so well anticipate all outcomes that it is unnecessary to provide the means to turn off a test like this, since you can foresee that it will never need to be turned off. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.