Question

Top Student
newuser4
Message 1 of 14 (6,482 Views)

laptop not starting up

I have a HP dv6338se laptop recently it suddenly died for no reason.  First time I found the problem when it could not wake from hibernate, screen completely black, all led on and stay on bright, the led next to SD card slot keep on,  no beep or any sound, I push down the power button until power off,  after I turn off the power button several time, it turned on.   second time same thing happened, i turned off the power and turn on, it does not work, I feel I would give up, so I plug the power on the charge battery to full, after 24 hours, it turned on, and basically working.  

After running normally  few days, same thing happend again.  First, the power on, screen completely black, all led stay on and led next to SD slot stay on,  I push down power button until power off, then turn on and off, still same.  

I have tried hard  reset, remove battery and hold down power button for 15 seconds then plug power on, but still same.  

any sugguestion what is happening and how to fix it?

Tutor
dp1986x
Message 2 of 14 (6,463 Views)

Re: laptop not starting up

First make sure that your BIOS is updated http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-89406-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&....  At that point if you can get to the Operating System make sure its fully up to date. Then from there all you can do is run a System Diagnostics on the HDD and the Memory from the BIOS which is accessible by pressing F10 when you first turn on the computer(if you can get to it). if they pass then your motherboard needs to be replaced..

Front Line Agent. Hewlett-Packard
Top Student
newuser4
Message 3 of 14 (6,459 Views)

I can't get into operation or bios or anywhere, that is the problem,  screen is black,  there is no keys or anything respond, the light on SD card light on immediately after power on.   I do not know if this is some kind of system lock up or something.

I can't really tell exact the problem is now, because it worked normal few day after first time the problem occured,  the first time I found this problem, I thought it is dead, or battery problem, so put power cord kept on,  after around 48 hours I tried power button, it actually did log in to windows.  after 3 days, it died again.  

any suggestions?

Tutor
dp1986x
Message 4 of 14 (6,454 Views)

try repeating the steps that you followed before to get the computer to turn on... once you do update your BIOS. run an HDD and Memory test. if those pass then its your motherboard.. its definately not related to the OS if you cant boot at all...

if your not able to even get to that point then the only thing that will fix your problem ..is replacing the Mobo...

Top Student
newuser4
Message 5 of 14 (6,444 Views)

early today I  pull off the hard drive off from the back and put back on, and did hard reset 3 times,  somehow it idid turn on and log in windows  as of 4:40pm as I am writing this message and is up still on now, it did start up normal after bios update, I don't know how long will it keep.  

Tutor
dp1986x
Message 6 of 14 (6,440 Views)

Go ahead and run the Memory test and HDD tests in the bios if you can just to be sure.

Top Student
newuser4
Message 7 of 14 (6,430 Views)

where is memory test?

Tutor
dp1986x
Message 8 of 14 (6,426 Views)

i checked its not on that bios version... try running it through F2 System Diagnostics if avalible when you first turn on the computer.  let me know if F2 works or not

Top Student
newuser4
Message 9 of 14 (6,422 Views)

F2 does not work.

Tutor
dp1986x
Message 10 of 14 (6,418 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ok you can use this tool that is provided by microsoft to scan the memory in your computer http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp download the tool and create the disk with the diagnostics. to do that select save the image on the HDD. then locate that file and attempt to run it. at that point it will as you to put in a cd to burn it to. if you dont have any CDs. you will have to download an Iso mounting tool which you can google. Daemon-Tools is a good one. just be careful not to DL a virus. Run that and post back what you find after running that.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation