Question

Tutor
presariocq56
Message 1 of 7 (9,980 Views)
Accepted Solution

presario CQ56 - 154CA won't load bios

[ Edited ]

Hello, I have a compaq presario CQ56 - 154CA laptop. I wiped the hard drive using DriveCleanser in TrueImage Home 2011 and then attempted to load the recovery manager with F11 (or F10 or whatever it is), but now all I get is a red screen with the big Q logo with "press ESC for startup menu" on the bottom left and  it just hangs there. I did wipe the Win7 and the System partitions, but not the Recovery partition. I did do a backup of those 3 partitions onto my external drive, but the laptop won't boot from a bootable flash drive I made in True Image, nor any of my boot CD's. And I did set the bios to boot from flash first, then DVD, then hard drive before wiping.

I didn't make the recovery DVD's with Recovery Manager in Win7, but I shouldn't need them since the Recovery partition is still there.

I've read that some Compaq laptops use a utility on the hard drive to load the bios, startup menu etc, so if that is the case with mine then it was thoroughly deleted. If this is the case, is there any way I can get it back on the drive?

If not, I could try to remove the drive and put it in an ext enclosure and hook it up to my desktop. It's possible that I can use the flash drive to use True Image to restore the two wiped partitions. Also, I've read that in this instance, removing the drive and then turning on the laptop may allow the bios to load, but I'd really rather not take out the drive if I don't have to.

I have faith in your ability to help me out with this, thankyou!

Either get off the drugs, or get back on them
Professor
Charles001
Message 2 of 7 (9,925 Views)

Re: presario CQ56 - 154CA won't load bios

So what happens when you press that ESC key when it says "press ESC for startup menu"?

======================================================================================
* I am an HP employee. *

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
Tutor
presariocq56
Message 3 of 7 (9,907 Views)

Hello.

Nothing happens when I press ESC - see above. It just hangs at the red screen with the big Q logo. Pressing F-11 does nothing, same with F-10, same with F-everything.

Sorry for all the F-words. Well, I took the drive out and when I turn the laptop back on, I see the "boot device not found" message. Now this is interesting, after restarting and tapping ESC, the Startup Menu is there. Restart again, tap F10, and the BIOS will now load properly. Going into System Configuration - Boot Options, I see that the CD-ROM is enabled as a boot device. Continuing into Boot Order, first on the list is "USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Drive", then CD-ROM, Hard Drive, as it all should be.

After plugging in my boot flash drive and restarting, the laptop loads up TrueImage from the flash drive, just as it should.

At this point, all I should have to do is put the internal drive back in, leave the flash drive plugged in, turn it on and it should load TrueImage. Then, if lucky, I would plug my ext hard drive with the Win7 backup into another USB, and let TrueImage restore the internal drive back to the way it was before I wiped it. But ...

It gets to the red logo screen and just hangs again with "Press ESC" in the lower left. Pressing ESC still does nothing (sigh) and neither does presssing the F-keys.

I hope this helps. My guess: something important was deleted off the internal drive when it was wiped that the laptop needs in order to load the bios. Without whatever it was, I cannot run the Recovery Manager with F11, nor can I boot from my flash drive and therefore cannot restore Win7 (booting from a cd doesn't work either).

If I'm right, I need to get that "something" back on the internal drive. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Professor
Charles001
Message 4 of 7 (9,839 Views)

Sounds like the drive is dead, bios must be hanging waiting the hd to respond, that's why when you remove the hd, bios would boot up fine.

There is a chance it's the bios, maybe try bios update first (should be able to update bios with usb bootable).

======================================================================================
* I am an HP employee. *

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Tutor
presariocq56
Message 5 of 7 (9,781 Views)

I appear to have solved the problem! As soon as I was able to restore the 'System' partition, which is the active partition , the bios loaded no problem. After exiting the bios, the Recovery Manager eventually started up automatically and I was able to restore the laptop to it's "out-of-box" state.

What I did was buy a 2 1/2 inch SATA HDD to USB adaptor which I used to hook the laptop drive to my desktop. I used my TrueImage boot flash drive to first restore the MBR to the drive using the backup I made. That didn't work. Then I restored the System partition, crossed my fingers, and fired up the laptop again and finally the Recovery Manager came up. It was the most beautiful thing I've seen in days.

A word of advice. If you wish to wipe Win7 off of your Compaq, say you want to sell it or something, and you want to use a multiple pass method, only wipe the 'Win7' partition. Don't wipe the "HP Tools", the "System", nor the "Recovery" partitions (if such partitions exist). If none of this makes sense to you, find a friend or a tech shop that it does make sense to. I consider myself lucky.

Thanks Charles for your responses, I appreciate them!

Professor
Charles001
Message 6 of 7 (9,755 Views)

Thanks for sharing the results. I didn't realize you had deleted the System partition.

* I am an HP employee. *

Top Student
Mr_Abdel
Message 7 of 7 (78 Views)

Re: presario CQ56 - 154CA won't load bios or boot device selection

[ Edited ]

Hello all,

I will post on this old thread as it describes the same problem I am experiencing now.

The only difference in my case is that I wiped my hard drive totally as I could not restore system nor enter the BIOS.

When removing the hard drive I can enter BIOS, Boot device selection etc.. But when hard drive is reconnected problem occures again.

I also tried another working hard drive and problem remains, so it's certainly not the hard drive.

Any help or advice would be apreciated.

Greetings

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation