Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dvd-6b27nr
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The machine had been updgraded to windows 10via the free microsoft  upgrade.  I did a windows 10 system update today and the machine crashed.  Trying to re-load windows 10 and now it is saying my product key from the bottom of my laptop) is bad.

I'm stuck-the recovery partion is gone so the only option I have is windows 10..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You can not install Windows 7 Pro with a Windows Home key. You need to create Windows 10 installation media using the Media Creation Tool and install according to the instructions in earlier links.

You can install Windows 10 with NO key.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

When you did the upgrade  your Windows 7 key essentially was made obsolete since it has been used for upgrade eligibility.However-  your hardware id is registered on Microsoft servers. When you do a clean install such as now- you skip when it asks for key. Later after the install is complete it will connect to MS servers to verify your machine and activate automatically.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/07/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-10-from-windows-7-and-8/

HP Recommended
That does not work. It's asking for a product key and there's no way to get past it without entering a 25 digit code and hitting the next button in the lower right-hand corner.
HP Recommended

Beside the Next button do you see  “I don’t have a product key”?

HP Recommended
It's called the windows 10 set up screen. It gives me an option to get important updates radioboxx one is download and install updates recommended second box is not right now I hit next it checks my PC it tells me it's getting a few things ready It then delivers made to the product key window and it tells me windows isn't activated on this PC this means you'll need to enter at the windows 10 product key..that's the only option I have.
HP Recommended

What type of media are you using to install Windows 10? Did you download and create it using the Media Creation Tool? Did you choose the version that matched your previous version- such as Home or Pro?

HP Recommended

Do you have this option at the setup screen?

Update.png

HP Recommended
That's a good question, I am reloading from a windows seven professional CD that I have. Since I don't have the original disks for my laptop because it crashed I had no other option than to try to begin with the Windows 7 professional CD because it's bootable. The windows 10 is on a non bootable USB drive....
HP Recommended

You can not install Windows 7 Pro with a Windows Home key. You need to create Windows 10 installation media using the Media Creation Tool and install according to the instructions in earlier links.

You can install Windows 10 with NO key.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

HP Recommended
Thanks
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.