Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-ec1022la

Yesterday, out of the blue, my laptop began slowing down and experiencing lag. I've attempted various solutions such as restarting and updating the laptop, and I've even checked the task manager for any anomalies, but everything appeared normal. Additionally, I ran a malware test, which came back clean. Despite trying all the troubleshooting steps I know, the issue persists. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @t4llarin,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you've already taken some great steps in troubleshooting the issue with your HP Pavilion Gaming laptop. Since you've checked for malware and ensured that your system is up to date, there are a few more things you could try.

• Check for Background Processes: Even if the Task Manager doesn't show anything suspicious, there might still be background processes hogging resources. Look for any applications or processes that are using a lot of CPU, memory, or disk.
  • Update Drivers: Make sure all your device drivers are up to date, especially graphics and chipset drivers. Sometimes outdated drivers can cause performance issues.
  • Disk Cleanup and Defragmentation: Run Disk Cleanup to remove temporary files and unnecessary system files. Also, consider defragmenting your hard drive if it's a traditional HDD (not necessary for SSDs).
  • Check for Overheating: Overheating can cause performance issues. Make sure your laptop's vents are clear of dust and debris, and consider using a laptop cooling pad to help with airflow.
  • Check Power Settings: Sometimes, power-saving settings can affect performance. Make sure your laptop is set to High-Performance mode when plugged in.
  • Run Hardware Diagnostics: HP laptops often come with built-in hardware diagnostics tools. You can run these tests to check for any hardware issues.
  • Reset Windows: If nothing else works, you could consider resetting Windows to its factory settings. This will reinstall Windows while keeping your personal files intact. Make sure to back up any important data before doing this.

If none of these solutions work, it's possible that there might be a hardware issue with your laptop.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.