Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

This April I purchased the following noitebook computer: HP Envy M7- N109DX Notebook.

I understand this computer is good for gaming, although I haven't used it much for gaming.

The Adobe Shockwave Player 12 , version 12.1.7.157 is listed in the Progams section of the Control panel and I understand from some reading I've done that you don't need both the Adobe Flash Player and Shockwave player as the Shockwave is used more for gaming computers. However, I noticed I have been getting Windows security updates for the Adobe Flash Player, which is not installed on my computer but no security updates for the Adobe Shock wave player.

Also I've been getting every so often here lately popup requests to update the Flash Player which I don't have. With one of these popups a warning came on that this was a malicious site and not to update. I don't believe this was from My Norton Internet Security as it wasn't so marked and it didn't popup in the right corner of my taskbar as Norton warnings do but filled the whole page. Maybe it was from Microsoft but I  Xed out the warning quickly so I'm not sure where the warning came from.

My question : Should I be getting updates for Shockwave Player, and am I right to ignore the Adobe Flash player updates that seem legitimate. Also why am I not getting updates for the Adobe Shockwave Player or do I have the latest ?

PS: I'm not sure I posted this on the right board.

Holly

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I just noticed that in Advanced Settings on Edge I have Adobe Flash Player enabled, but it's not listed in Programs on Control Panel.

Holly

Just now found out the following:

I have done the test for Adobe Flash Player and Adobe Shockwave and have discovered that Flash Player is preinstalled with Internet Explorer in Windows 10 and updates automatically. It sort of reminds me of Google Chrome.  I got from the Adobe Shockwave test that it is not working, although it's listed in Programs on Control Panel. I also found out that Adobe Flash Player and Shockwave come together on Windows 10.

I think I won't worry about it as I'm not much of a gamer and found out games I play work fine.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Adobe Flash Player may ask you update twice a month. Well, it is up to you: wish you wish to keep everything up to date, you can upgrade or you can disable the update from Adobe. Depending on what version on your machine now, please use one of the following manuals:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/flash_player_admin_guide.html

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

As I mentioned I don't even have Adobe Flash Player, but I have Adobe Shockwave Player so why would I want to update Adobe Flash Player. You don't need both. The Shockwave is more for computers that are for gaming as well as presentations, etc.

Holly

HP Recommended

I just noticed that in Advanced Settings on Edge I have Adobe Flash Player enabled, but it's not listed in Programs on Control Panel.

Holly

Just now found out the following:

I have done the test for Adobe Flash Player and Adobe Shockwave and have discovered that Flash Player is preinstalled with Internet Explorer in Windows 10 and updates automatically. It sort of reminds me of Google Chrome.  I got from the Adobe Shockwave test that it is not working, although it's listed in Programs on Control Panel. I also found out that Adobe Flash Player and Shockwave come together on Windows 10.

I think I won't worry about it as I'm not much of a gamer and found out games I play work fine.

HP Recommended

I decided to try some games on Xbox which is installed on my computer and everything is working fine.

Holly

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.