Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have a HP 2760P and I'm running Windows 7 64bit,

I did a clean install since I replaced the harddisk, I installed HP Protect Tools.

Problem:

Most of the BIOS settings are grayed out, I can't change anything. Do I need to login to the BIOS as Administrator or so?

When I enter the BIOS I get asked to login.

I can only login with my Domain-Account, I can't enter another account name.

I therefore login and see the bios-settings.

However most settings are grayed out.

"Set Administrator Password" is also grayed out.

How can I enable the BIOS-settings?

Do I need to Login into the BIOS as an Administrator? How can I do that, during entering the BIOS it only let's me login as my regular domain-account or how can I even set an Administrator-Password?

Thanks and best regards

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@leonardlin wrote:

I have a HP 2760P and I'm running Windows 7 64bit,

I did a clean install since I replaced the harddisk, I installed HP Protect Tools.

Problem:

Most of the BIOS settings are grayed out, I can't change anything. Do I need to login to the BIOS as Administrator or so?

When I enter the BIOS I get asked to login.

I can only login with my Domain-Account, I can't enter another account name.

I therefore login and see the bios-settings.

However most settings are grayed out.

"Set Administrator Password" is also grayed out.

How can I enable the BIOS-settings?

Do I need to Login into the BIOS as an Administrator? How can I do that, during entering the BIOS it only let's me login as my regular domain-account or how can I even set an Administrator-Password?

Thanks and best regards

What I have found is that this situation arose for me when I logged in to the BIOS as a regular user after installing HP ProtectTools and enabling Pre-boot authentication.  I needed to log in as an admin user.

However, in my case, I had yet to set up an administrative password for the BIOS prior to setting up HP ProtectTools.  What I needed to do was the following set of steps:

1.  When the system reboots, it SHOULD give you the option to log in to the BIOS as a guest or registered user.  Log in as GUEST into the BIOS instead of a registered user (wierd, but it works).

2.  Go to BIOS Security settings and create a BIOS admin password.

3.  You should then be able to edit additional settings, although you may need to log out and then log in as guest and type your new BIOS admin password.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Eric

HP Recommended

Hi,

i have the same problem as mentioned before.

I need to setup a PC to Win7, that has a trial Version of Windows 10 installed.

My Bios Version is HP M60 2.14 and unfortunately, some bios options like legacy boot are greyed out.

This means that I cannot use my Win7 USB Stick nor the DVD.

I have setup an administrator password and also an MEBx password, but am not able to enable these options.

In contrast to other users in this thread I do not get the options to choose whether or not to login as admin or guest user.

Is this an option that needs to be enabled as well?

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Thank you for this. It really helped me out  :generic:

HP Recommended

I have no guest account option available - there used to be but it's not there anymore. Tried everything but most settings still greyed out. What a ridiculous situation.

HP Recommended

Confirm this. Very dumb issue, you should login as GUEST in order to access that whilst logining as Administrator gives you all settings disabled. Very silly.

Hey, HP! Fix that!

HP Recommended

Same problem in my laptop when i open bios many options are grayed out. And their is nothing guest mode to enter to bios. Please help i am tired to enable the  these grayed options. Please hp help us

HP Recommended

Hey All,

I have an HP745G6 and was having the same issue of everything being grayed out. I can only log in as administrator with no other options. I did figure out why mine was gray. Under security option, make sure that Sure start BIOS setting protection is unchecked. After I unchecked it everything was available.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.