Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Having followed the instructions to create a repair USB device, and re-flash the BIOS.  The system is unable to boot, reporting 'The selected boot device failed.  Press <Enter> to continue.'

How can I repair / recover from this situation?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@HamishHamilton wrote:

Having followed the instructions to create a repair USB device, and re-flash the BIOS.  The system is unable to boot, reporting 'The selected boot device failed.  Press <Enter> to continue.'

How can I repair / recover from this situation?

I seem to be missing something. Usually when the bios  fails to boot the system simply does not turn on, the screen is blank and nothing is ever seen again.

That message typically shows up the the disk drive is bad or windows cannot boot because of corrupted windows files.

What caused the problem in the first place?
Power glitch? Upgrade to windows 11 from 10?
Microsoft or HP update? Add a new device, memory, etc?

Have you run diagnostics?
Tap the ESC key after powering on and press F2 to run diagnostics.
Do not allow any updates if disk or memory fail, especially a BIOS update.

Let us know if you pass the memory and disk test.

Please provide the Product ID or Model name for better assistance. Preferably the full product ID including the characters after the # symbol. This code may be needed to find cloud recovery files.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick response.

The machine was dual boot wth W11 and MX Linux, and after an MX Linux update the ability to access the BIOS was lost, but not noticed at first, as the laptop was always used for Linux.  This wasn't an issue until an internal SSD was added, and the BIOS needed to be accessed as the SSD wasn't recognised. After failing to access the BIOS it was re-flashed, as per the support pages the previously noted error was received.

Running Diagnostics test gave a pass for all bar Storage Tests. (eMMc, Flash with) a note that none were installed, also that the battery test needed to be re-run after disconnection from the mains for 20 mins.

The Product Number is 5Z0Q5ES#ABU

HP Recommended

@HamishHamilton wrote:

Running Diagnostics test gave a pass for all bar Storage Tests. (eMMc, Flash with) a note that none were installed, also that the battery test needed to be re-run after disconnection from the mains for 20 mins.

The Product Number is 5Z0Q5ES#ABU

I am not sure what you mean above, but the product ID shows your system can be factory restored.

BeemerBiker_0-1713264136941.png

Are you running a dual boot manager?  I gave up on dual booting and got a cheap used  motherboard that I access  remotely using splashtop.  It runs Ubuntu, had development system for BOINC and runs  BOINC 24/7

So are you good to go?

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Thank you for the pointer, I now have W11 up and running :).

The issue I have left is that the BIOS is demanding a password.  I have never set one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.