Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion x2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Pavillion x2 laptop. When I use the laptop, after 5-10 minutes it crashes and I get a blue screen. Each time the error message is different. I've had "unexpected kernal mode trap", "system service exemption" and "unexpected store exemption".

I clean installed Windows 10 recently, that's when the problems started. However, when I first bought the laptop and updated to windows 10 I had the exact same issue and managed to solve it by removing some windows updates. That hasn't worked this time. Microsoft were unable to help and suggested that I contact HP
6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@NathanJH

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

I understand that you are in need of support. Need not worry I'll be glad to assist you.

However, please follow the below steps that could resolve the issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you attempted to update the BIOS?
Or perform a system restore to an earlier date it had been working without these issues?

While you respond to that, I've done a ton of research on this error and here's what I've got in store for you, please perform all the steps, one after the other, if one doesn't work try the others:

Solution 1 – Update your drivers

Blue Screen of Death errors are often caused by outdated drivers, and in order to prevent these errors from appearing, it’s crucial that your drivers are up to date. If your drivers are outdated or buggy, Windows 10 won’t be able to recognize and use hardware that is associated with them. To fix this error, it’s advised that you update the problematic driver, and you can do that by following these steps:

1. Press Windows Key + X on your keyboard to open Power User Menu. Select Device Manager from the list.

2. When Device Manager opens locate the driver you wish to update, right click it and choose Update Driver Software.

3. Select Search automatically for updated driver software and wait for Windows 10 to download the appropriate driver.

4. Repeat the same steps for all drivers that you want to update.

Even though updating your drivers through Device Manager is simple and straightforward, you should know that Device Manager doesn’t always download the latest drivers. This can sometimes be an issue, therefore we suggest that you download your drivers manually. Downloading drivers manually is relatively simple, and you can update the necessary drivers by visiting your hardware manufacturer’s website and downloading the latest drivers for your device.

Bear in mind that you might have to update all drivers on your Windows 10 PC in order to fix this error. Few users reported that the issue was caused by Realtek audio drivers, therefore we strongly suggest that you update these drivers first and then update all other drivers.

Updating your drivers is crucial for your system’s stability, but updating all your drivers manually can be long and tedious process. To quickly update all your drivers, we suggest that you try this Driver Update software that downloads all the necessary drivers with just a single click.

Solution 2 – Install the latest Windows 10 updates

Errors such as UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M can appear due to hardware or software issues. Windows 10, just like any other operating system, has few issues with certain hardware and software, and sometimes these issues can cause Blue Screen of Death errors to appear.

To prevent BSoD errors from appearing, we strongly suggest that you install the latest Windows 10 updates. Microsoft is frequently releasing new updates, and you can download them by using Windows Update. Many of these updates address security flaws and bugs related to both hardware and software, therefore if you want your PC to be safe, stable and free from BSoD errors, we strongly suggest that you download the latest updates.

Solution 3 – Remove your antivirus

Your antivirus or firewall can sometimes cause UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M error to appear and crash your PC. To fix this error, it’s strongly recommended that you remove all third-party antivirus programs from your PC. Users reported that Avast was causing this error, and after removing the software, the BSoD error was completely fixed. Bear in mind that almost any antivirus program can cause this issue, so be sure to remove them all. To completely remove certain antivirus program from your PC, we advise that you use dedicated removal tool. Almost all antivirus companies have these tools available, so be sure to download one for your antivirus program.

If removing the antivirus fixes the problem, you can continue using Windows Defender, or you can reinstall your antivirus program again. Alternatively, you can completely switch to a different antivirus solution.

RECOMMENDED: Download this tool to fix PC issues and speed up your system

Solution 4 – Remove problematic applications

In addition to your antivirus, other third-party applications can cause this error to appear, therefore it’s recommended that you remove them. According to users, Daemon Tools can cause this error on Windows 10, so we highly recommend that you remove it from your PC.

Another way to find problematic applications is to perform a clean boot, and you can do that by following these steps:

1. Press Windows Key + R and enter msconfig. Press Enter or click OK.

2. System Configuration window will now open. Select Selective startup and uncheck Load startup items.

3. Go to Services tab and check Hide all Microsoft services and then click on Disable all button.

4. Click Apply and OK to save changes.
  5. Start Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
  6. When Task Manager opens, go to Startup tab, right click each entry on the list and choose Disable.

7. After you disable all startup applications, close Task Manager and restartyour PC.

When your PC boots, check if the UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M error appears again. If there’s no error, you need to repeat the same steps and enable disabled services and applications one by one until you find the one that is causing this error to appear.

Solution 5 – Reset Windows 10 and check your hardware

Use this link: https://hp.care/2t2d0IY to reset the windows

Keep me posted, how it goes! 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended
Thanks for getting back to me.

I have tried to update the BIOs from the HP website but the update button is greyed out when I try to update, it's says "this BIOS update is not compatible with your device". I have double checked that I put the right product ID when finding the drivers on you site and it's definitely right. I have updated some drivers but a few just won't install or i'm told I'm already running the latest driver.

I have reset windows 10 and clean installed from a usb but nothing changes. It may work for a day or so but then it will crash again and from then on the crashes just get more frequent.

At the moment I'm getting....

-Driver irql not less or equal (Ndu.sys)

-Memory management (network04.sys)

-System service exemption

-page fault in none page area

The crashes happen when I'm doing something, it sits there on standby just fine but open chrome or watch a video and it crashes.

HP Recommended
I have tried to update drivers through device manager but so far everything has come up as the lastest driver available
HP Recommended

@NathanJH

It looks like you were interacting with @Raj1788, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out,

I'm the Flower_Bud & I'm at your service.

I would suggest you reinstall Windows using HP Recovery Media. To order Recovery Media, follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/bph07143. 

Or you could contact our phone support:

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

* Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

HP Recommended
Thanks for the reply,
The link you posted seems to be dead and the page on the HP website used for ording the recovery disk seems to be down for maintenance. Is there no other way to stop these crashes ? Or do you know then the page will be working again?
HP Recommended

@NathanJH

Microsoft is releasing patches that address some crashes in latest verison of Windows 10. Should be rolling out today May 25. It  may help. I would  open Windows Update and check manually if you don't want to wait for it to be pushed out.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4100403/windows-10-update-kb4100403

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.