Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
G-6 2209au
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)
I want to put windows on my new SSD and want to know if i have to format the old one before or if I can do it with windows on it I will be using it as a usb clean installer. Also can it contain other files when doing a clean install?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I think I understand what you are thinking. You are trying to use the old internal hard drive as the reinstall media to put Windows 8.1 on the new SSD. That is not how it is going to be done. You can copy (clone) the old drive to the new SSD by using some third party software like Acronis or Macrium or Norton Ghost. That would require an external usb to SATA adapter for the SSD and boot the system from a cloning software disk and do the clone, then swap the position of the SSD and the hard drive. Or you could use the HP recovery program on your laptop to make recovery disks or a thumb drive and then restore it to factory original condition and then use the old hard drive to transfer in your old data files. The hard drive has all the drivers and pre-installed software in the swsetup folder at the root of the C: drive. 

Using just the original hard drive and the new SSD and the laptop without involving some other disks or hardware is not going to be possible to wind up with an OS and other software on the SSD inside the laptop. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Not really understanding what you are trying to do here. You can possibly clone the old drive to the new SSD with proper software and equipment. But I do not understand what a usb clean installer is in this context. 

HP Recommended
sorry let me explain after I get my SSD can I put the ISO window 8.1 on my old drive then connect it with a usb cable and do a clean install? with out coping my drive on a third drive and formatting it. Second question if I do have to format or take windows off the old drive can I do a install with other files on the drive or does it have to have only the iso when doing this. I am doing a install from a external drive via usb to a new SSD installed in my laptop
HP Recommended

I think I understand what you are thinking. You are trying to use the old internal hard drive as the reinstall media to put Windows 8.1 on the new SSD. That is not how it is going to be done. You can copy (clone) the old drive to the new SSD by using some third party software like Acronis or Macrium or Norton Ghost. That would require an external usb to SATA adapter for the SSD and boot the system from a cloning software disk and do the clone, then swap the position of the SSD and the hard drive. Or you could use the HP recovery program on your laptop to make recovery disks or a thumb drive and then restore it to factory original condition and then use the old hard drive to transfer in your old data files. The hard drive has all the drivers and pre-installed software in the swsetup folder at the root of the C: drive. 

Using just the original hard drive and the new SSD and the laptop without involving some other disks or hardware is not going to be possible to wind up with an OS and other software on the SSD inside the laptop. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.