Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I know a lot of people have this same problem as I am. When I try to open a pptx file in power point 07 it gives me "no text converter installed." I have the Office 07 file converter installed  and still have no luck.

I've tried OpenOffice but no luck with that either, and I do have Office 07 installed with all the updates.

I have Windows 7 ultimate installed but have also tried it on Windows XP PCs and had no luck either.

Does anyone have an idea of something I could try to repair pptx online or with some way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

How are you doing?

Do you have SP3 on your office installation and all updates? Run microsoftupdates.microsoft.com (from Internet Explorer) and get all updates.

You could try opening PowerPoint, then opening the file (not opening it from double clicking the file). Also, open a new blank PowerPoint and go to save as, see what other PowerPoint formats are available in your installation.

Then try changing the file name to that, such as .xls, .xlsx, .xltx, etc, like in Excel. Maybe one of these will get it to open. Then save it back to the original file extension.

If this does not solve the problem, try to use one of the third-party tool like PPTX Repair Kit. I think you will be able to recover and open your file. There is a demo version on the website and you can check your file.  http://www.pptx.repair/

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @PekkaMakela

Do you have full MS Office application installed or just the free PP viewer for Viewer 2007 ?  Open Office / Libre Office won't work.

If you have all Office 2007 updates and SPs installed, we can conclude that the problem is most likely in the file itself - it is either corrupted, or was created in another (usually lower) version of Office.

If this is important, please ask the creator of the file to re-save the file in 97-2003 file format .ppt so that you are on the same version. 97-2003 format is the golden standart and can be read by any modern Office versions e.g. - Office 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016.

Even though the format is the same - e.g. docx, xlsx, pptx, there are differences in Office 2007, 2010, 2013, etc...

What is saved in pptx from Office 2013 may look different in Office 2010 or 2007 due to the office and format difference.

It is good practise to save in 97-2003 format for the wider mass audience or save the file in Cloud viewer such as MS OneDrive which Office Online available as preview >> www.onedrive.com

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended
thanks for the help. but I did not succeed. if there are any ideas still?
HP Recommended

Thanks @PekkaMakela

Could you elaborate what didn't work ?

# Do you have full MS Office suite installed ? Or just the free Power Point Viewer for Viewer 2007 ?

# Did you ask the file creator to convert/save it in Office 97-2003 format ? Did this work in .ppt only ?

# If the file does not contain confidential info, can you upload it somewhere (e.g. in Google Drive, in OneDrive, in Dropbox....) and give me URL/link to download it and test it myself  ?

Thank you for your cooperation. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

How are you doing?

Do you have SP3 on your office installation and all updates? Run microsoftupdates.microsoft.com (from Internet Explorer) and get all updates.

You could try opening PowerPoint, then opening the file (not opening it from double clicking the file). Also, open a new blank PowerPoint and go to save as, see what other PowerPoint formats are available in your installation.

Then try changing the file name to that, such as .xls, .xlsx, .xltx, etc, like in Excel. Maybe one of these will get it to open. Then save it back to the original file extension.

If this does not solve the problem, try to use one of the third-party tool like PPTX Repair Kit. I think you will be able to recover and open your file. There is a demo version on the website and you can check your file.  http://www.pptx.repair/

HP Recommended

Thank you all for the help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.