Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-au070na

My HP Pavilion 15-au070na (product id W9V58EA#ABU) recently started failing to boot (into Win 10),

simply showing a "Boot Device Not Found" message and then going on to show the System Information screen.

I have installed a new SSD but, as before, I cannot get the BIOS to show anything other than these screens.

I have tried all the pressing ESC on power up and many other key combos but none bring up anything other

than these screens. The Sys Info screen reports BIOS Version F.09

How do I get the full BIOS to run so that I can get it booting from USB to install Win (or do anything else useful)?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@halienaeon

Welcome to the HP Forums,
I hope you're well 🙂

As I understand the laptop doesn't boot into the windows and instead gets you the error message-"boot device not found",

Please follow the below steps to identify and resolve this concern:

Step 1: Perform a hard reset

HP Notebook PCs - Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset

Step 2: Restore BIOS default settings

Step 3: Test the hard drive using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI (Click here - under step 3)

Step 4: Reseat the hard drive (here's a video that shows how to re-seat the drive: Click here)

Step 5: Perform an HP System Recovery using the HP Supplied recovery media

If the issue persists, it's most likely a hardware connection failure and you will need to contact the HP phone support for a hardware service,

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@halienaeon

Welcome to the HP Forums,
I hope you're well 🙂

As I understand the laptop doesn't boot into the windows and instead gets you the error message-"boot device not found",

Please follow the below steps to identify and resolve this concern:

Step 1: Perform a hard reset

HP Notebook PCs - Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset

Step 2: Restore BIOS default settings

Step 3: Test the hard drive using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI (Click here - under step 3)

Step 4: Reseat the hard drive (here's a video that shows how to re-seat the drive: Click here)

Step 5: Perform an HP System Recovery using the HP Supplied recovery media

If the issue persists, it's most likely a hardware connection failure and you will need to contact the HP phone support for a hardware service,

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thanks for the reply. I had already replaced the original HDD with an ssd but was having trouble installing windows. However, I downloaded Windows installer onto a USB stick and it booted into that, so managed to get going .. only to find that the keyboard is now faulty! Currently using with external USB keyboard but otherwise fine. Will close issue. Thanks again.
HP Recommended

Hi @halienaeon,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. Great that the issue has been resolved. superb troubleshooting. As @Riddle_Decipher is out of office for the day, I am jumping in here to assist you. If the external keyboard is working fine, then the actual computer's keyboard needs to be replaced as well.

I hope things work great and the issue gets resolved without hassles. 

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.