Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Omen Laptop Model 15-ax010ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just added a new Samsung M.2 SSD that the OS sees in the device manager. I've got a copy of the recovery image made and saved on a USB 3.0 drive.

If I boot from the USB drive and run the recovery, how do I get make it so the SSD is the default boot device. When it goes into the recovery options from the USB flash drive, it doesn't specify which drive to use.  The BIOS/ UEFI  options aren't much help either. I'm just finding the HDD just way too slow.

Thanks,

Sheila

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found the solution!  Go to the BIOS and under the System Configuration menu, I had to enable "Legacy" boot. 

When I restarted the laptop, it booted to the new Samsung  M.2 SSD by default as I'd used the Samsung migration tool to clone the main hard drive onto the SSD already. 

Now boots lightning fast! 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

in bios not sure if its advanced options but you will see a list of drives and you need to move the ssd to the top of the list, it will tell you on the right side of the screen how to do it

HP Recommended

In this particular model,  the BIOS only lets us choose the EUFI assigned boot device, which is regular HDD originally installed. There's no way to toggle to the newly installed SSD, even though it's been formatted NTFS. 

@danny29186 wrote:

in bios not sure if its advanced options but you will see a list of drives and you need to move the ssd to the top of the list, it will tell you on the right side of the screen how to do it

HP Recommended

have you tried swapping the drives around

HP Recommended

The two drives are 1) Mechanical HDD that came with the computer and has the OS installed on it.  2) The other "hard drive' is a M.2  SATAIII SSD. They can't be swapped out. I might have to temporarily remove the mechanical HDD and test.

HP Recommended

I found the solution!  Go to the BIOS and under the System Configuration menu, I had to enable "Legacy" boot. 

When I restarted the laptop, it booted to the new Samsung  M.2 SSD by default as I'd used the Samsung migration tool to clone the main hard drive onto the SSD already. 

Now boots lightning fast! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.