Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP15 BS164 TU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

• I have HP Notebook which came with Free Dos as operating system.
  • I Created GPT Partition and installed Windows 10 in it. 
  • Now I have bught 120GB M.2 SSD. I want to clone my OS into it, and use my 1TB HDD for only storage.
  • In my Disk Manager, it is showing 3 partitions.
    • Recovery and two others.
    • PartitionsPartitions
    • Can I wipe these three 500 MB,100 MB & 16MB, partition after cloning my C Drive to SSD ?
    • Are these critical partitions ?
-Maddy
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Bagginses 

First off, it's not a GPT partition; instead, you formatted the drive using GPT.  You still have a bunch of actual partitions.

Second, my advice, regarding these partitions, is as follows:

1) Recovery -- no longer need it, delete it and reuse the space

2) FAT32 100MB -- original System Reserved partition with the boot files.Don't know if you can safely remove this.

3) 16MB partition -- no idea what this is, but I would remove it

My advice, regarding the "cloning" of the HDD to an SDD is to follow the advice in this thread to have the app choose the partitions needed:  http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Cloning+a+disk

My guess is that you will need BOTH the FAT32 partition and the OS partition (to make the new drive bootable), but the MR app will be able to figure that out for you.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you.

I have bought WD m.2 SSD. ( not received yet ) So, I guess I will be using Acronis Tool.

I will try it and follow through. Thank you.

-Maddy
HP Recommended

Please disregard as @WAWood  already answered

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.