Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

All my default apps were working before, but now they are not working.

When I click on the app, the apps seems to be opening, but after few seconds, it disappears. The live tile of the apps are dark and the windows store is the same way. I've even tried to clear the store's cache and it wouldn't clear the cache.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@kenedih04

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP 15 laptop and the default apps are no longer working. The apps try to open and then close by themselves. The live tile of the apps and Windows store appear dark. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• The exact product model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l
  • Did any Windows updates or software changes happen after which this issue started?
  • Are you able to open other apps which are not the default ones?
  • Any error message received?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Please perform a system restore to rollback the laptop to a previous date when everything worked fine. System restore does not delete your data. 
  • Post a successful system restore, please check if the apps work fine.
  • If apps still do not work then let us perform a refresh (repair) on Windows. Refresh will not delete any data. 
  • Post a refresh, the apps should work.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Please let em know what happens. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Yes I am able to open other apps that aen't default apps.

Yes it has been updated since it started working.

HP Recommended

The only app that works is my Mozilla Firefox

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and providing more information. Recommend you to run the troubleshooter as suggested in this Microsoft article for Windows apps not launching. 

Keep me posted. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I performed a system restore and my default apps still aren't working. The live tiles are darkened and they have an exclamation point inside of a cirlce in the bottom right corners.

HP Recommended

@kenedih04

Thank you for replying. I appreciate you taking your valuable time to troubleshoot.

I suggest you to perform a Windows refresh (repair). The refresh will not delete any of your data. Due to some corruption in Windows, the apps may sometimes not work. 

This link gives you the steps to perform a refresh. 

NOTE: Though the link contains steps for Win8, they would work for Win10 too. 

I'd like to mention that if the refresh does not fix the issue then you may have to reinstall Windows (system recovery). Doing this will delete all data and restore the laptop to its original factory condition You will have t backup your data if there is any important information. 

Also, please let me know the exact product model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

I'll watch for your response. Keep me posted. Thank you again! 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.