Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP G62 B08 ET
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a HP G62-B08 ET laptop. 

Officially this laptop's operating system is Windows 7, but I installed Windows 10.

While I installing Windows 10, I deleted all official partitions (like HP_TOOLS,RECOVERY).

After Windows 10 installation I want to upgrade my bios to UEFI, but I got an Error (You must create HP_TOOLS partition.)

Are there any solution to upgrade UEFI with Windows 10.

Thanks for all reply. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@grgx

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

You don't need to update to UEFI if you are already running Win10.  I have several Upgraded PCs that run Win10 just fine and are the older BIOS PCs.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@

Thank you for your reply.

I need UEFI for virtual machine applications and Mac OS (Hackintosh).

Are there any solution?

HP Recommended

@grgx

BIOS and UEFI are completely different firmware versions, and while some newer UEFI systems have a "legacy" mode that emulates BIOS,  the obverse is not true -- you can't convert BIOS into UEFI.

You can convert a Windows installation from BIOS to UEFI, but that is purely software, not firmware.

So, if your PC did not come preloaded with UEFI, then you're stuck.

HP Recommended

I know diffrences between UEFI and BIOS. But,

The Problem is HP officially release an UEFI update for my laptop but this update require HP_TOOLS partition.

My question is "are there any way to apply UEFI update without HP_TOOLS partition?".

HP Recommended

I think we're talking cross purposes, here.

You first said you wanted to upgrade to UEFI using Win10 -- which can't be done.  But ... Win10 can install to a UEFI machine.

You then said you needed UEFI for VM applications and Mac OS -- which is fine, but you can not convert your PC from BIOS to UEFI, regardless of why you need it.

You then said you knew the difference -- which is not evident by your first two sets of comments -- and that you want to apply the UEFI update to your PC, but you can't because you need the HP_TOOLS partition to do that.

The HP update does NOT convert your PC from BIOS to UEFI, instead, it updates the existing UEFI firmware.

The only way I know to restore the HP_TOOLS partition properly is to use HP Recovery Media to do a total PC factory restore, as that erases the ENTIRE drive and recreates the original partitions, but that would set your PC back to win7.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.